EVANGELIONHD

Guns for hunting?

You can hunt with a pistol grip on a pump shotgun in NJ. Many shotguns set up for turkey have pistol grips. I personally do not like pistol grips on hunting shotguns, but that is just preference. I take it that your shotgun is a pump? If so, then hunt with it.

43 minutes ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Nice to know that, but so can I go hunting or not with my "other" firearm??

Not by the NJ definition.

For the purpose of hunting in New Jersey, firearms refer to a shotgun, muzzleloader (rifled or smoothbore), air gun and modern rifle.

An other firearm is not mentioned there so, no, I would not hunt with one.  There's really no ethical way to do that either.  Shockwave shotgun type others are too short barreled and will not ethically dispatch of a bird.  You could use a .223 AR type for coyote/fox/woodchuck, but the NJ hunting regulations specifically state rifles.

http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/hunting/general-hunting-regulations/

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Nice to know that, but so can I go hunting or not with my "other" firearm??

“Shotgun” is defined as a shoulder-fired weapon in NJ. 

N.J.S. 2C:39-1n.  Defines “Shotgun” as follows:

"Shotgun" means any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and using the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shots or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, or any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder which does not fire fixed ammunition."

NJ game regs. says a “shotgun” is legal to hunt with with some parameters. 

15 minutes ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Just reading the rules and regulations found this line... 

• Rimfire and centerfire rifles are not legal to hunt deer.

Im so confused now, i have a .22 rimfire and the .223 center fire but so I can hunt deer only with shotgun?

You can only hunt deer with slugs in NJ. I'm not sure about the specifics so I'll let someone else more knowledgeable chime in. 

1 hour ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Im so confused now, i have a .22 rimfire and the .223 center fire but so I can hunt deer only with shotgun?

https://casetext.com/regulation/new-jersey-administrative-code/title-7-environmental-protection/chapter-25-division-of-fish-and-wildlife-rules/subchapter-5-2017-2018-game-code/section-725-523-firearms-and-missiles-etc

2 hours ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Shotgun slugs and buckshot.

.22 Rimfire and .223 can be used for some other game (Coyote, Fox, Woodchuck) - the rules are very strict and precise.  

.223's not a great caliber for Deer anyway.

2 hours ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

You can hunt deer with bow(recurve, longbow, compound), crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun ( buckshot and/or slugs). 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, Krdshrk said:

34 out of 50 states authorize .22 caliber centerfire cartridges legal for deer hunting. Many meet the minimum of ft.-lbs. in energy for deer. Are they ideal for deer? In my opinion; no. Would you hunt deer with a .22 Hornet? Mmmmm, no.

But a .22-250, .220 Swift, .22 Nosler, .224 Valkyrie, and defunct .225 Winchester with the right bullet in the right twist barrel can be the ticket in the hands of a competent shooter being selective with shot placement. Unfortunately, all those variables need to be met in order to be successful. 

22 minutes ago, Parker said:

34 out of 50 states authorize .22 caliber centerfire cartridges legal for deer hunting. Many meet the minimum of ft.-lbs. in energy for deer. Are they ideal for deer? In my opinion; no. Would you hunt deer with a .22 Hornet? Mmmmm, no.

But a .22-250, .220 Swift, .22 Nosler, .224 Valkyrie, and defunct .225 Winchester with the right bullet in the right twist barrel can be the ticket in the hands of a competent shooter being selective with shot placement. Unfortunately, all those variables need to be met in order to be successful. 

I personally like .and hunt deer with 270, 30-30, .308, .30--06, 44 mag, and 450 Bushmaster. We are required to use a minimum of .23 caliber in VA. I am not sure about .223 for deer. Can they kill a deer, yes, but so can a 22LR. The only bullet I would use with a .223 for deer would be something like a Barnes TSX solid copper bullet. I like a slower big bullet for deer. My cleanest kills have been with bigger slower bullets. I would choose a modern inline muzzleloader over a .223 every time.

• Agree 1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, Krdshrk said:

Shotgun slugs and buckshot.

.22 Rimfire and .223 can be used for some other game (Coyote, Fox, Woodchuck) - the rules are very strict and precise.  

Another thing to remember (in NJ) - If you are hunting with slugs, your shotgun MUST have rifle-type sights installed.  Just a bead at the muzzle (standard shotgun configuration) is not legal for slug hunting.  You can just go with the bead at the muzzle for buckshot.

It sounds like you're coming in with hunting experience from another state.  New Jersey hunting is a little different.  You REALLY need to read the 2020 Hunting and Trapping digest - it covers all of these topics.  You can find it in most places that sell hunting licenses, or read it on-line here:  https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2020/dighnt20.pdf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1