n4p226r

NJ R Legislator thinks he and judges are better than us

http://politickernj.com/2016/03/bergen-senator-seeks-gun-carry-permits-for-judges-and-legislators/

I'm the first to say that the more people that carry the better, I'm not one of those people that think the police off duty shouldn't carry, or retired cops.  They didn't make the laws, so i don't fault them for having more privileges than us.  I'd disagree if they thought we shouldn't carry and they did, but thats a different story.  But apparently even the Republicans in NJ think they are better than us and above the law.  

I'm kind of surprised by this, as I thought that group was among the few that could actually get CCW permits in NJ.

I believe there " need is justified" somebody is either doing a chess move, or jus doesn't want red tape. I actually see this going somewhere.

“I believe that if vulnerable public officials do not have to fear violent reprisals related to their duties, they will be able to better carry out their mission to serve the people of New Jersey,” Cardinale said. “Our dedicated public servants are some of our greatest resources, and we cannot afford to lose any to an assassin’s bullet.”

I believe he wants to protect himself from his constituents.

Now isn't that ironic....

I must clarify his quote.

“I believe that if vulnerable public officials do not have to fear violent reprisals related to their duties, they will be able to better carry out their mission to SCREW the people of New Jersey,” Cardinale said. “Our dedicated public servants are some of our greatest resources, and we cannot afford to lose any to an assassin’s bullet.”

And that last line..... Oh I beg to differ.  We can afford to lose pretty much all of them (by voting them out of course).

• Like 1

“Judges and legislators face a greater risk of falling victim to violent attacks, simply because of their easily identifiable position in public life,” Cardinale said. “This measure will ensure that public servants have the means to protect themselves from those who might violently disagree with their viewpoints or decisions. A judge should feel safe returning home each night no matter how they ruled or what they ruled on that day.”

I kind find you 500,000 people in Jersey that are in more danger than ANY legislator or judge, and actually face the risk of REAL violence every day, not pretend maybe violence.

Just more Jersey classicism and jack booted thuggery.

I e-mailed Sen Cardinale - 

Although I am not one of your constituents, I am curious as to whether you were misquoted in the PolitickerNJ article. You are quoted as saying:

“The state’s current laws  prevent only responsible citizens from having the ability to arm themselves for self protection. Our laws do not protect us they merely give criminals an advantage by failing to keep guns away from terrorists and dangerous criminals. We need to have sensible regulations concerning firearms, aimed at protecting us rather than ideological  laws that only create an environment that emboldens criminals, terrorists and others with evil intent”

But the position represented by the proposed bill only addresses a remedy for an elite class. You are saying that their lives are more valuable than those of the average citizen. Every citizen is at risk everyday, some at greater risk than the elite class you have singled out, some at less, but all their lives matter equally. To deny one class of citizen the right to protect themselves, while actively facilitating another classes ability to do so is hypocrisy of the highest order.

How you can make a rational statement like the quotation above and then turn around and seek to dole that right out only to a privileged few makes no sense - so you must have been misquoted, correct?
  • Like 6

Although I am not one of your constituents, I am curious as to whether you were misquoted in the PolitickerNJ article. You are quoted as saying:

“The state’s current laws prevent only responsible citizens from having the ability to arm themselves for self protection. Our laws do not protect us they merely give criminals an advantage by failing to keep guns away from terrorists and dangerous criminals. We need to have sensible regulations concerning firearms, aimed at protecting us rather than ideological laws that only create an environment that emboldens criminals, terrorists and others with evil intent”

But the position represented by the proposed bill only addresses a remedy for an elite class. You are saying that their lives are more valuable than those of the average citizen. Every citizen is at risk everyday, some at greater risk than the elite class you have singled out, some at less, but all their lives matter equally. To deny one class of citizen the right to protect themselves, while actively facilitating another classes ability to do so is hypocrisy of the highest order.

How you can make a rational statement like the quotation above and then turn around and seek to dole that right out only to a privileged few makes no sense - so you must have been misquoted, correct?

Why not a phone call?

“The state’s current laws  prevent only responsible citizens from having the ability to arm themselves for self protection. Our laws do not protect us they merely give criminals an advantage by failing to keep guns away from terrorists and dangerous criminals. We need to have sensible regulations concerning firearms, aimed at protecting us rather than ideological  laws that only create an environment that emboldens criminals, terrorists and others with evil intent”

More eloquent than I would be.  

I'm a more "What the F is wrong with you?"  kind of guy.

• Like 1

i am not sure how i feel about this yet...

very curious to see how this all plays out

I know how I feel. If I can't carry, they should not be able to carry!

When was the last time you heard about a PRNJ Legislator or judge being assassinated?  I call BS!

In 2011, the FBI reported 269 gun murders in the PRNJ. Up 9% from 2010. None were Legislators or judges.

They see the imporantance to the right of self defense. Let them get it, we will fight and get it shortly after. The more laws that allow conceal carry regardless who it's for, is the better chance we have. It's not all or nothing. But lil bites and pieces with hard work.

this is my first thought,  if it should pass then its game on.  i mean how could they not allow it for everyone then?

its would be a shit-storm of negative press i would think no?

• Like 1

Does Cardinale have a history of Pro 2A?

It almost sounds like a backwards way to open the door to legal challenges to justifiable need.

Yes.  I've been thinking that we need to get a foot in the door, or the camel's nose under the tent, as pundits are fond of saying.

I was thinking that maybe they could introduce CCW permits with a high fee, so our legislators could see a revenue benefit from it.  Then once they have agreed in principle, we could just work on getting them to reduce the fee.  But this might be an even better approach.

• Like 1