Sign in to follow this  
Gun Guy in NJ

Applied for Pistol Permits

On Monday my wife and I submitted our paperwork for pistol permits. 2 permits each. When we went to the police station the dispatcher told us that we need to email a Lieutenant to submit the forms. I email him at 3:00 by 5:30 had a reply that anytime after 6:30 that night. My wife and I went at 7:30 and he was not there but the other officers went out of their way to help. One got on the phone, another checked that we filled everything out correctly and witnessed the signing of the mental health check form. They took the forms and said that they would give it to him when he got back. About 1 hour latter I got a call at home from the Lieutenant and he said that there is another form we have to fill out. Now I’m thinking that this is going to be a problem with an additional Illegal form. He said that since we had our FPID card that we did not need to be finger printed so this form was for the police chief to do the background search with the state police. He apologized for missing us several times and offered to come to our house with the forms so we did not have to make the trip again. I told him we would just stop by the next day and sign them. The form was 212A. I found this posted on the fourms so I think the form is ok.

“g) An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser

identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same

licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides an additional

valid identification document of his or her identity, need not be fingerprinted again. In such cases,

the chief of police or Superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the applicant in accordance

with this subchapter. The chief of police or Superintendent shall require the applicant to complete

the New Jersey State Police, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) "Request For Criminal HistoryRecord Information For Non Criminal Justice Purpose" form, and pay the appropriate fee

established by N.J.A.C. 13:59. Applicants unable to provide an additional valid identification

document shall submit to fingerprinting.”

They did not charge us any additional fee. They did not give us a problem with the number of permits. He did not say how long it would take. I will update when we get the permits.