Radios...?

recommended_posts

On 5/8/2024 at 12:17 PM, ESB said:

Maybe this is something we could setup.  Establish a frequency (or frequencies) and check in/monitor times to use during a SHTF situation.  Who is interested in participating in something like this?  

I think I would be better advised to start my efforts in VIrginia, where I hope to be if SHTF. It's a bit of a dilemma, since, depending on what unknown form the crisis takes, I might not be able to get there. OTOH, I don't know that I think that going to a seriously time consuming effort twice is reasonable. NTM that I definitely don't plan to duplicate an extensive list of pricey equipment in two places (and a 50 - 100' tower is none too portable :-) I guess I should give some thought to making a list of what risks I believe are most likely to happen, and prioritize immediate responses to those risks, beginning with the decision to bug out or to shelter in place. Prior to retirement, one of my work responsibilities was disaster recovery planning - it just dawned on me that I should be able to adapt some of those tools and techniques to this task, as there would appear to be significant crossover.

If you’re going to VA, buy 2 radios.  Program one for here and one for there.  If you guys are buying Baofeng radios do yourself a favor and get a tactical antenna for it,it’ll extend your reach.

On 5/13/2024 at 3:52 PM, Buck Russell said:

If you’re going to VA, buy 2 radios.  Program one for here and one for there.  If you guys are buying Baofeng radios do yourself a favor and get a tactical antenna for it,it’ll extend your reach.

Right, each location will have a different set of Repeater frequencies you can use in your area. 
You could also just have 2 sets of CHIRP files ready to go and make sure you have the ability to program them quickly in a SHTF situation.  Maybe dedicate at least one radio for each location with specific programming, and then when you get there you can re-program the radios you take with you with the programming specific to that location.  
More expensive radios have the ability to program them via your phone app and BT connection.  

guest_post_header

guest_post_pbr_blurb guest_post_sign_in

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   editor_cannot_paste_images