Sign in to follow this  
coldsolderjoint

Winchester Ranger SXT or Black Talon

Are Winchester Ranger SXT or Black Talon ammo illegal in NJ?

I have a friend who was told by gun shop personnel that they are illegal in NJ unless you are LEO. I'm asking you guys who know the laws to the letter if this is true or not.

I was always under the impression that it was a contractual agreement between Winchester and the Distribution chain to only sell to LEO, not the law.

Black Talon was the old name when they had the black coating. For what was probably pr, the changed the color and the name to the SXT line. The ammo was certainly nothing special and is available. Black Talon has taken on a somewhat mysterious aura and I've seen some pay stupid money for it.

It is subject to the same restrictions as any over the counter HP ammo. Seems internet lore has hp ammo right under possession of fissionable nuclear material in the state.

You aren't totally wrong about the restricted sales. Back in the early 80's, W-W restricted the sale to their LE dealers. they were free to sell it to anyone they wished.

rscalzo is correct. WW SXT and Black Talon is the same round only repackaged so as not to be so scarey. I disagree with one thing though, the "X" series of cartidges are better than most all other hollow points. They can do alot of damage. You wouldn't want to accidently discharge your weapon upon reholstering it with one of those rounds in the pipe.

I disagree with one thing though, the "X" series of cartidges are better than most

Our experiences with the 9mm loads were less than stellar. It was a reason for dumping the 9mm and moving to the 40S&W. The load is nothing spectacular no better or worse than most of the major manufacturers brands.