uppercuts

Legally sell a semi-auto rifle privately.

I would like to know the legality of selling a rifle privately P2P. Is this legal? What protocols must I follow? Is there any paperwork needed to be filed? Sorry for the questions, but I would like to know as I am pending a sale from a member here on the forum and would like all to be legal. All info greatly appreciated.

Yes selling a long gun is legal privately.

You both need to have a valid FOID card and DL and fill out a COE(NJ certificate of eligibility)

You can down load them on the NJSP web site, make sure you fill it out correctly and get a copy for each the buyer and seller. Some people also like a bill of sale but that is optional, there is no paper work that needs to be filed with the state on private long arms sales, only pistols.

You both need to have a valid FOID card and DL and fill out a COE(NJ certificate of eligibility)

You can down load them on the NJSP web site, make sure you fill it out correctly and get a copy for each the buyer and seller. Some people also like a bill of sale but that is optional, there is no paper work that needs to be filed with the state on private long arms sales, only pistols.

Only the acquiring party needs a FPID card, even though the COE has a spot for the seller's SBI#.

If no paparwork is necessary to be filed with the State, then why do I have to download a COE? :doh:

If no paparwork is necessary to be filed with the State, then why do I have to download a COE? :doh:

Well, it's really for the seller. If the gun gets used in a crime, he can prove he sold it to someone....they're going to then come after you.

Yup it clears the seller of any wrong doing, I always keep all my firearm records nicely filed in

case there is ever an issue, all I have to say is I followed the law to a T, so go scratch. In the

event the buyer lies on the COE then that is also on him and I believe that may be a felony in itself.

then why do I have to download a COE

Because you now have a document stating that the buyer is claiming he is permitted to possess the item being purchased. A FID card means zip. It could have been issued twenty years prior.

It's a better system than we have up here in NH. We have no documents to fill out (other than the suggested Bill of Sale). however it is the responsibility of the seller to determine the buyer is not a prohibited person. If the firearm is used illegally and that person was found to be a prohibited individual, the seller is now on the hook. Unless I know the person very well, any sales go through a FFL with a NIC's check.