Sign in to follow this  
GiantsFan

Range question as it pertains to NJ Laws (sharing your guns?)

Here's another question I have about loaning guns.

If I go to a commercial range to shoot (pick one) and bring a friend or two, is it legal to let them shoot my guns?

in general, will the range permit it?

will NJ laws permit it?

Must they be F.I.D. holders? NJ residents?

I may at time want to take my daughter with me, or either / both of two future son in laws. One of them is a PA resident. None have F.I.D. cards at this time but all have expressed an interest to learn how to shoot. So can I share my guns at the range with them?

In general, how many people can go with you to the range? 1 guest, 2, 3?

You are allowed to let them shoot your guns as long as you supervise and the "transfer" doesn't exceed 8 hours.

As far as range visitors, it is entirely dependent on the policy of the range. There is no legal restriction.

Edit to add: They don't need to have a FPID. You should also do a best faith assessment that they aren't prohibited individuals.

Edited by Malsua

Here's another question I have about loaning guns.

If I go to a commercial range to shoot (pick one) and bring a friend or two, is it legal to let them shoot my guns? Yes

in general, will the range permit it? yes, in general. Ranges allow guests if you're a member. If you're not a member then you and all your friends are guests and the doesn't care who owns the gun.

will NJ laws permit it? Yes

Must they be F.I.D. holders? NJ residents? No

I may at time want to take my daughter with me, or either / both of two future son in laws. One of them is a PA resident. None have F.I.D. cards at this time but all have expressed an interest to learn how to shoot. So can I share my guns at the range with them? Yes

In general, how many people can go with you to the range? 1 guest, 2, 3? Up to the range. Call first. Some ranges limit the number of people per lane. One or two is usually cool. Three might be ok or two might be the limit. You have to pay extra to bring guests at most ranges.