Sign in to follow this  
eckoblazer

Out of state purchased firearm question

On the way back from the range tonight my wife and I got into a conversation about ownership of my firearms. Here is the secnario: I have 2 handguns that were purchased in PA prior to moving to NJ. I now have an additonal one that was purchased in NJ. Once she gets her FID card is she able to bring any of these to the range without me or will she have to buy a new pistol for herself?

On the way back from the range tonight my wife and I got into a conversation about ownership of my firearms. Here is the secnario: I have 2 handguns that were purchased in PA prior to moving to NJ. I now have an additonal one that was purchased in NJ. Once she gets her FID card is she able to bring any of these to the range without me or will she have to buy a new pistol for herself?

She will not be legally able to take your pistols to the range without you being present. The origin of how you obtained the firearms is irrelevant.

She will not be legally able to take your pistols to the range without you being present. The origin of how you obtained the firearms is irrelevant.

Hypothetical Question:

What happens in the case If both the husband and the wife bought the handgun together in PA and it was legally considered joint property there. And they used the gun together (and separately) when living in PA because they both owned it. They then moved into to NJ, do they still both own it? Or can only one person own it once they move to NJ?

How would the police or a range in NJ determine that that handguns bought in PA are the husband's gun or the wife's gun or both spouses owns it? I understand that handguns bought in NJ can be traced and then it can be determined who owns them because they are registered at sale. But PA bought handguns are not registered at sale.

Hypothetical Question:

What happens in the case If both the husband and the wife bought the handgun together in PA and it was legally considered joint property there. And they used the gun together (and separately) when living in PA because they both owned it. They then moved into to NJ, do they still both own it? Or can only one person own it once they move to NJ?

How would the police or a range in NJ determine that that handguns bought in PA are the husband's gun or the wife's gun or both spouses owns it? I understand that handguns bought in NJ can be traced and then it can be determined who owns them because they are registered at sale. But PA bought handguns are not registered at sale.

I understand what is being asked here...if the guns aren't registered in NJ, why can't she take them to the range? If both husband and wife are from PA, it could never be proved that one or the other did or didn't own it. If she was legitimately on the way to the range, and there were no other issues arising, nothing would ever come of it. If the prosecutor felt like it, they could come up with any number of other charges to make her life miserable, none of which are related to the actual possession of the gun.

If the wife is from NJ, they could do a records search and determine if she ever bought a gun and if not, they'd get her for possession.

I am originally from Ohio, most of my guns are not registered in NJ, some of my guns aren't even IN NJ, one being a dreaded "assault rifle" which will stay in Ohio until I move out of NJ. All of those guns were acquired before I moved here, many were FTF. They'd have no way of tracing those back but I still won't let my wife take them to the range.

I understand what is being asked here...if the guns aren't registered in NJ, why can't she take them to the range? If both husband and wife are from PA, it could never be proved that one or the other did or didn't own it. If she was legitimately on the way to the range, and there were no other issues arising, nothing would ever come of it. If the prosecutor felt like it, they could come up with any number of other charges to make her life miserable, none of which are related to the actual possession of the gun.

If the wife is from NJ, they could do a records search and determine if she ever bought a gun and if not, they'd get her for possession.

I am originally from Ohio, most of my guns are not registered in NJ, some of my guns aren't even IN NJ, one being a dreaded "assault rifle" which will stay in Ohio until I move out of NJ. All of those guns were acquired before I moved here, many were FTF. They'd have no way of tracing those back but I still won't let my wife take them to the range.

OK I got it thanks. What part of Ohio are you originally from? I'm not that far from Cincinnati

OK I got it thanks. What part of Ohio are you originally from? I'm not that far from Cincinnati

I grew up east of Akron, west of Youngstown and north of Alliance. I also spent a number of years further south in a small town near Coschocton. Coschocton is a redneck as it gets anywhere in the country and the area very rural.

I have a step brother who lived in Florence KY and has relocated to Lexington I believe. I never get down that way though.

So in reality if their was a firearm we both wanted we would each have to purchase one to be able to go to the range independently?

Correct, otherwise it is considered an illegal transfer. You are only allowed to transfer guns to another person under some narrow guidelines, and they essentially boil down to practice at a range with the owner present. Renting at a range is also covered.

I will note that in the event of a police stop, the cops aren't going to validate ownership at the side of the road. They are either going to arrest you or let you go based on the totality of the circumstance. The ownership issue would only come into play long after and chances are if it gets to that point...you're already SOL.