NJBeretta

Transfer of records needed from one PD to new PD - real or BS?

Hi there,

So I'm going on now into my third month waiting for my change of address on my FID - same street address in the township, but from one apartment number to the new number. (after all... this address has to match that of the DL... joy)

I called today to find out the status, and I was told that processing was still delayed due to the following three reasons:

1) one of my reference letters did not come back (nonsense - I know for a fact this person sent it back)

2) mental health results not yet back from county (genuinely possible - this is Essex County)

3) they need to receive my records from my former township's PD

#1 can be easily rectified, #2 unfortunately I can understand.... but has anyone ever heard about records from one township needing to be transferred?

The odd thing about all of this is that I was issued my initial change of address with no problems when I first moved to the township.

I'm starting to think that #3 above stinks a little like Number 2...

If you're just switching apartments within the same complex, why do they need anything from some other police department???

If you were moving from one town to another, then yes, your 'new' town needs the records from your 'old' town. But you are still in the same town, right?

#3 sounds a bit off to me. When I moved from Essex county to Hunterdon County my records where "transferred" in relatively quick order. The process of getting a COA for my FID and a new permit took less than 8 weeks.

Have you tried going to the PD in person to speak with the firearms officer?

I might have to find time to go in person and find out what's going on.

HavocMan - yes, my wife and I changed units back in March. I moved to the township in October when we got married, and received the FID change of address in about 2 months' time, which would lead me to believe that my old town's PD sent the records over back then. I'm trying to get hold of the secretary today; however, I have the feeling that this may be her day off.