1911Fan

Ball vs Flake vs Extruded Powder

Does anyone use Ball Powder for their .308 loads?

I hear Accurate Arms and Winchester make good stuff. Is there a reason so many swear by IMR?

As many of you know, I would like to duplicate Federal Gold Medal Match loads.

Is there a price advantage to going with one major powder manufacturer than another at a trade off of consistency as I read on the errornet or is this just like the never ending debate of .308 vs 30.06 that we all know comes down to personal preference?

I was told by someone who has been reloading for a long time that ball powder will work the best in their Dillon powder measure due to the consistency (this man worked for Dillon but no names will be dropped.)

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance.

I love this forum.

IMR 4895 was best for semi auto rifles and works well in bolts. That is what I use. Others like IMR 4064 for bolt actions. A friend of mine loves 4064.

I want to say I remember reading that the stick powder gives a little more velocity at longer ranges. I could be wrong. When I started loading I called Sierra and asked them the best powder for their 168 hpbt and was told IMR 4895. I never looked back and have no regrets.

IMR 4895 was best for semi auto rifles and works well in bolts. That is what I use. Others like IMR 4064 for bolt actions. A friend of mine loves 4064.

I want to say I remember reading that the stick powder gives a little more velocity at longer ranges. I could be wrong. When I started loading I called Sierra and asked them the best powder for their 168 hpbt and was told IMR 4895. I never looked back and have no regrets.

You guys are great! Thanks for helping this soon to be reloader.

I used to just pm TB but I'm sure he appreciates you guys helping him out.

I must have pm'ed him the longest set of questions I have ever written down, at least twice. :oops:

Hey TB - I also read that stick powder gives that extra punch for long range. :D

Not to mention how everyone tells me how their load with the IMR ______ and a Federal 210 primer is what Federal copied from them for their Gold Medal Match rounds. LOL. :lol:

Is there a powder measure out there that works very well with IMR powders in a press?

Dillon mentioned they have a adjustable "powder measure adapter" that will allow the use of a different powder funnels with their toolhead/die set. The measurements of the non Dillon powder funnel must be 7/8" x 14 threads (standard). If this doesn't work well, maybe I should just steer away from Dillon for Rifle loads.

Just thinking that could be a good way to use the IMR I hear such wonderful things about in .308.

I can stick with Ball / Flake stuff for 45 ACP.

What primers do you use in those .308 loads I took out the second C on the Coca Cola can at 200 with?

Those rounds were great.

They are what made me realize I should be reloading rifle as well as pistol.

I uses 42 grains of H335 in my 700P behind a Sierra 168 Matchking and got great results.

While I agree that IMR 4895 is the end all, the question was if anyone uses ball powder. The intended use for the 308 round would have a lot to do with the answer.

Ball powders work better when reloading through the Dillon (or any powder measure for that fact). I find the results using the BLC-2 in my M1A's is as good as the stick powder and I can load using the progressive features of the Dillon. True, they aren't my match rounds but up the the 300 yards we have to use the round is fine.

I've found Reloader 15 is a great powder for the 308Win. and as accurate as the 4895 and bit easier to work with IMO.

I use the Fed 210 match primers.

I use a Uniflow with stick powder and the key is a powder baffle. It reduces the weight on top of the granules and promotes easy flowing powder.

The nice thing is there are so many powders that if you can't find one there is a substitute.