Shane45

Pre Ban / Post ban by serial #

I had a conversation a while ago with a Seargent on the local pd. He seemed knowledgable on firearms law. He cautioned me that technically some post ban config firearms are still an issue if their serial number comes up as a pre ban date of manufacture. He specifically referenced M1A's. No change in config but a pre ban serial could get you pinched.

Thoughts, opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Shane

Not sure I totally understand the question. I've always taken "post ban" to indicate that the firearm does not posses certain "evil features". Yes, in the traditional sense, the terms post and pre are indicative of a certain time period before or after the federal AWB, but, my understanding is that NJ does not distinguish between pre or post ban. It's either on the ban list, or it's not. Year of manufacture is irrelevant.

Again, just how I understand the terms as they apply to NJ firearms. I don't know enough about M1As to know if there is something unique about them, other than the fact that there was some court case that resulted in newer style Springfield M1As being OK here...

Since "post ban" only really applies the configuration of the rifle why would the date of the receiver matter?

The date on the receiver matters little in this case it's just a manufacture date, since there is no mechanical difference

between a post and pre-ban receiver why would that matter? I would say that more then 70% of all low cap post ban WASR's are build on PRE-bad receivers, I know mineare for sure and they are legal to own in NJ, along with my psl and a few other post ban rifles I own. When Clinton put the 94 ban into effect all the manufactures just took their existing crop of completed

rifles and just reconfigured them.

Basically what the Sgt was saying was that if it was a pre ban serial, it would be considered a pre ban rifle and illegal. Features didnt matter. Only if it was pre or post ban. Im not saying he was right, just repeating what he said. For my own edification, id like some expert opinion on the issue.

Basically what the Sgt was saying was that if it was a pre ban serial, it would be considered a pre ban rifle and illegal. Features didnt matter. Only if it was pre or post ban. Im not saying he was right, just repeating what he said. For my own edification, id like some expert opinion on the issue.

In my expert opinion he is wrong.

is he saying this is a NJ law only or Federal? Either way just about every legal FFL in NJ

would probably be guilty of selling or transferring something under these guide lines.

Not an expert, but, I agree with HODGIE. I've never heard of the serial number making any difference. And on top of that, I don't recall ever seeing any NJ law that referenced anything about serial #s either. Obviously, our local FFLs would be the "authorities" on the matter. Hopefully PK90 or Tony from TJs will chime in.

Interestingly enough, there's a discussion about pre-ban M1As over in the NJ Hometown section of arfcom right now. You should check it out as it may cover what you're trying to figure out (hell, maybe it's you that posted the question under a different name :lol: )

There seems to be a clear distinction between pre and postban M1As: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ag1.html

Might matter in a state where the date of manufacture is relevant, NY for example, IIRC.

Doesn't matter in NJ. It's the configuration which counts.

The only exception I might be able to see is if it was a legally registered assault weapon (registered during the brief time period) and now it is in the possession of someone else than it's register owner, but even then, its the configuration which would matter more.

Might matter in a state where the date of manufacture is relevant, NY for example, IIRC.

The only exception I might be able to see is if it was a legally registered assault weapon (registered during the brief time period) and now it is in the possession of someone else than it's register owner, but even then, its the configuration which would matter more.

If it's a registered AW then it Can't be transferred IIRC, it would have to be disposed of out of state.

If it's a registered AW then it Can't be transferred IIRC, it would have to be disposed of out of state.

That's where I would think it would be a problem.. if the original owner doesn't have it anymore and the OP does :?