Sign in to follow this  
siderman

MN 91/30 headspace

If I'm going to mount a standard scope setup on my 91/30 theres really no other option but to modify/ruin(depending on your point of view)the bolt handle so its turned down.I'd prefer not to do that as this rifle has all 4 stamped matching numbers and would like to keep it intact historically. So if i get another bolt body to turn down the handle is that going to affect the headspace? Or is it the actuall bolt head that determines that? Or should I not even worry about it.

The bolt body doesn't change headspace at all. The headspace is set by the bolt head. You can change bodies all you want and it wont have any ill effect on headspace at all, given your headspace is good before you start. There is an ancient tutorial I did in the early days of the forum on making your own bent bolt body without welding. They are strong and cheap. You just need a donor body from sarco or a gunshow for $5. Save your original bolt body and buy a spare to bend. That way you can convert back to original in about 30 seconds.

I was just looking at bent bolts today oddly enough and came across a website that sells bent bolts. Bent Bolts. I read around a bit and this guy is the best in what he does. I'd take a look and if you're willing to shell out the cash get a bent bolt from a body he provides and keep yours for when you feel the need to switch back to straight bolts.

Usnmars- thanx for the info, pretty much what I thought just wanted to hear it from a pro.

Mgrallay- thats the Boltman. I've been in touch with Jim there and they're out of stock on xtra bolts and 10-12 weeks out on turn around time with your bolt,good for him.