Sign in to follow this  
jcerillo70

How do i get a Class 3 license?

You want to enter the business of selling silencers and machineguns? As in, a for real business?

Or you want to buy silencers and machineguns?

I need to know which. Because a lot of people think you need to have a "Class 3 License" to own the stuff, no offense intended.

I get the hint ;)

Ultimately my goal is to become an FFL. This would be an added advantage.

What stops me is that little question on the firearms app that says "Have you ever been turned down for an FFl license?"

I don't think dealers are allowed to sell suppressors in NJ, class 3 license or not. If you want to sell machine guns you will need have an official business and all the BS that goes with it, to get a class 3 license. Private ownership of machine guns is realistically impossible in NJ.

I don't think dealers are allowed to sell suppressors in NJ, class 3 license or not. If you want to sell machine guns you will need have an official business and all the BS that goes with it, to get a class 3 license. Private ownership of machine guns is realistically impossible in NJ.

Don't fret the little things, ^THAT^ is it.

There is no such thing as a Class 3 license. All an FFL01 has to do to deal in NFA firearms is to pay a yearly Special Occupational Tax of $500. No other license is required. Hence, the FF01/SOT03 designation. A manufacturer pays $1,000.

A dealer who does not pay the yearly tax must go through the process that a non-licensee must, i.e. CLEO sign off and pay a $200 tax for each NFA item.

A non-licensee must also go the NJ route as stated in the statutes, but it'll never happen.

• Like 2

There is no such thing as a Class 3 license. All an FFL01 has to do to deal in NFA firearms is to pay a yearly Special Occupational Tax of $500. No other license is required. Hence, the FF01/SOT03 designation. A manufacturer pays $1,000.

A dealer who does not pay the yearly tax must go through the process that a non-licensee must, i.e. CLEO sign off and pay a $200 tax for each NFA item.

A non-licensee must also go the NJ route as stated in the statutes, but it'll never happen.

Learn something new all the time here. So are there any other requirements or just pay the $500 yearly fee tax?

Learn something new all the time here. So are there any other requirements or just pay the $500 yearly fee tax?

Of course you ALSO have to have Demo Letters from local LE agencies in order to have "Dealer Samples" as a part of your business. You cant use your FFL/03SOT as an excuse to build up a personal collection of MG's. There was a time when becoming an FFL wasnt that onerous a process. However since the Clinton Admin, ATF has really slowed down on Issuing 01 FFL's, plus to be an 01 FFL in NJ you have all of the NJSP Hoops to jump through as well. Since PK90 IS an 01 FFL he can probably detail those better than I can.

Of course you ALSO have to have Demo Letters from local LE agencies in order to have "Dealer Samples" as a part of your business. You cant use your FFL/03SOT as an excuse to build up a personal collection of MG's. There was a time when becoming an FFL wasnt that onerous a process. However since the Clinton Admin, ATF has really slowed down on Issuing 01 FFL's, plus to be an 01 FFL in NJ you have all of the NJSP Hoops to jump through as well. Since PK90 IS an 01 FFL he can probably detail those better than I can.

Yeah, I'm aware of the majority of the BS needed to get an FFL in NJ, I'm not currently entertaining the idea and probably wouldn't bother with MG's anyway if I did. That being said, since I'm running a retail business already, I have a much better grasp of what would be involved than most people, and wouldn't rule it out someday.

Yeah, I'm aware of the majority of the BS needed to get an FFL in NJ, I'm not currently entertaining the idea and probably wouldn't bother with MG's anyway if I did. That being said, since I'm running a retail business already, I have a much better grasp of what would be involved than most people, and wouldn't rule it out someday.

Although I quoted you, i was answering more to the OP Halb.