Sign in to follow this  
Steve H

Best way to disable a plastic folding stock

I've got a Ruger 10/22 and an Archangel Nomad (Marauder) HK G36 style stock for it.

Very familiar with all the gotchas, I think. I did not use the flash supressor on the barrel, instead opting for the dummy suppressor (just a solid plastic sleeve over the barrel).

The only two cardinal sins it still has are it's pistol grip and folding stock. Pistol grip has to stay so stock needs to be locked open.

The stock is not metal so I can't weld it.

Any ideas on the best way to lock it open for our wonderful state? Would epoxy applied to the joint and hinge be considered permanant for a composite stock?

Thanks!

Pic of the stock, is it the folding stock? like this?

634604550850436086w5qtzm5v.jpg

If you have enough real estate to drill the hinges on top and bottom and drive a roll pin in there it would stop the stock from moving. It all depends on how thick the hinges are if they will be stable enough to drill and pin.

If you can get the hinge pin out throwing some JB weld in there would hurt and reinserting the hinge pin as it sets up.

*note* I have not pinned a stock like this before so my opinion is not from past experience. These are just the two things I would look at given the design of the stock.

That's the stock.

Yeah, I use JB weld all the time, not a bad idea. I think I can also drill down thru the hinge and throw some pins thru it, I have a press. The worst part is that the stock, when folded, has a nice storage compartment that will be rendered inaccessable when the thing is neutered. Very sad.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Took it out in the workshop this morning and thought about it. Decided the best way would be to use a 1/8" roll pin to disable the release button. Came out pretty good, and the button doesnt move a millimeter, rock solid. Might even be reversable if I ever get out of NJ, as long as I didn't clobber the spring with the drill. :)

Here she is.

1022_03.jpg

1022_04.jpg

1022_08.jpg

1022_09.jpg

1022_10.jpg

1022_11.jpg

Raydee, it's holding up great, still rock solid.

The pics are about the best I can do as far as explaining how to do it. Basically, remove the rear of the stock by removing the hinge pin bolt, then just drill through the stock from the front side, just about where you see the pin installed in my pics. Then drive the pin thru.

As far as using a removable screw or bolt, I wouldn't try it but can't comment on it's legality. I think even what I did might be questionable, since technically it's not a blind pin since the stock can be removed and the other side of the pin could be accessed. It's only a $140 stock, and you might be able to get just the rear folding portion of it for much less, so if you ever move or if hell ever freezes over in NJ and this stock becomes legal in the folding version, just replace the back part of it with a new one. My opinion.