fuzzsquid

Cop arrested for having an AR-15

Just heard this story on NJ news channel 12 and googled it. I found it and wanted to share it here. I know the law and understand why he was arrested but wanted to share. On a side note there is a law enforcement exception to the assault weapons ban written into 2C. The case here is going to be for a judge to decide according to his interpretation of the 2C law enforcement exception. My opinion is that he will beat the weapons charges.

Port Authority cop Jeffrey Haner was busted on possession of two illegal assault weapons, including the same type of Bushmaster rifle used in the Newtown massacre, authorities said.

Ramsey, NJ, police said they took a total of 10 weapons from Haner after his wife asked for a temporary restraining order.

The 41-year-old cop, who works at the George Washington Bridge also had eight legal guns, including two handguns, Ramsey police said.

But Haner’s .223-caliber Bushmaster and Chinese-made Norinco rifle were fitted with accessories including flash suppressors that made them illegal assault weapons under New Jersey law, police said.

He was charged on Dec. 21 with two counts of possessing an assault weapon without a permit, police said. The maximum penalty for each charge is five years in prison.

Haner was also charged with one count of possessing high-capacity magazines, which carries a maximum penalty of up to 18 months in prison.