Sign in to follow this  

Mini Balisong for minor ? illegal or not ?

Hello everyones,

I'm still new to the forum and this is my first topic. If I commited any mistakes please spend sometime to tell me out.

So, my little brother's birthday is coming up (16 yrs old) and his favorite hobby is to do tricks with Balisong (Butterfly Knife). I recently found a site that sell mini balisong.

Here comes the problem, even after plenty of times going through the laws of NJ, I still couldn't figure out it is illegal or not for him to own a balisong (and carry it around, it have keychain). So, is it illegal to buy and own this as a minor ?

Here is the knife: http://www.bladeops.com/Mini-Keychain-Butterfly-Knife-Black-Tactical-Blad-p/htp65.htm

And the measurement is

Blade Length: 1 1/8"

Overall Length: 3 7/16"

Closed: 1 7/8"

I had the same one on my key chain for about 8 years back when I lived in NY. (Shhhhhh!!! Don't tell anybody)

I remember buying it thru an advertisement in a magazine, so it was even shipped to my moms house. But like I said this was when I was younger in the late 90's.

ANY balisong is illegal in NJ and NY......

I don't see where a balisong is named. "e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree."

Can one use a balisong as a box cutter? Would this not be legal? A balisong is not a gravity knife.

Can one use a balisong as a box cutter? Would this not be legal? A balisong is not a gravity knife.

This is my main confusion, NJ didn't state Balisong as gravity knife or not ( Well NY does, not NJ). I asked around a few forum and some of them said you can own it with a explainable law reason (Self defense doesn't count). The other said the cops will just go and confisticate every knife they see publicly.

So anyway, is the balisong trainer legal to carry and own ? This is my 2nd choice