Sign in to follow this  
BleedingOrange36

Remington 770 with scope package

I'm trying to start planning what I want next. I'm really interested in the Remington 770 in .308 with scope. It's comes in a package with the scope for $339.00.

I'm really looking to get into a entry level bolt gun in .308 for under 400$ with a scope.

I understand that I will get what I pay for, but to get a complete starter gun for less than the cost of a decent scope interests me.

If anyone can weigh in with pros and cons please feel free. Or if anyone has a used Bolt rifle for sale with optics please let me know.

I just feel obligated to let you know, in 3-4 years I have been reading the internet gun forum community, *all* the stuff I have read about the 770 is bad to absolutely terrible. It is not just a baby 700, supposedly it is physically stuff that does not make the cut for a 700 they use for a 770.

Now I am in the booze business, long long time and a lot of schooling. I will tell you in whiskey and wine that can be a great thing. We often get wines that are like the 'extra production' of say a $100 bottle, and whatever just doesn't 'make the cut' for the $100 bottle will get a new name/label and sell for $10. This is AWESOME, you can get absolutely amazing stuff for the price. HOWEVER -- IN THIS APPLICATION, it is absolutely terrible. I have read many people saying their new in box 770 had physical flaws / broken/not working parts etc. etc.

Now I know the price is great BUT if you have problems you lost any value right? For that price I believe you can get a Savage Axis combo , which is NOT a second label if you will. And also, if you shop Dick's Sporting Goods during sales etc. they have private label Remington 700s with scopes for like $400-450 ish etc. At mine they had a Camo-covered, scoped, stainless steel model less than $500. And the Remington 700 is the Remington 700.

I would go for a Savage (they make a LOT of options for the money) or a real Remington 700 and never would get a 770 (And I am TREMENDOUSLY happy with my new Remington 700 from November). If you can go between 4-500 you really Really REALLY open the options wide open.

ALSO- I FORGOT, Remington just announced a new rifle at Shot Show.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-783/model-783.aspx

Remington 783 - THIS IS TOTALLY right up your alley. Designed to be the best rifle you can buy for the purchase price. If I didn't drop double on a 700 in November I would have bought this one.

Yeah yes sir that is basically exactly what I was talking about. Cabelas has their own ADL combos, Dick's has some , Gander Mountain maybe, etc. I know its slightly more than the 770 combo you originally wanted but HEAD AND SHOULDERS a better rifle. And infinitely better in the long run if you ever want to upgrade, the 700 is the leader in aftermarket upgradeable everything.

I just feel obligated to let you know, in 3-4 years I have been reading the internet gun forum community, *all* the stuff I have read about the 770 is bad to absolutely terrible. It is not just a baby 700, supposedly it is physically stuff that does not make the cut for a 700 they use for a 770.

Now I am in the booze business, long long time and a lot of schooling. I will tell you in whiskey and wine that can be a great thing. We often get wines that are like the 'extra production' of say a $100 bottle, and whatever just doesn't 'make the cut' for the $100 bottle will get a new name/label and sell for $10. This is AWESOME, you can get absolutely amazing stuff for the price. HOWEVER -- IN THIS APPLICATION, it is absolutely terrible. I have read many people saying their new in box 770 had physical flaws / broken/not working parts etc. etc.

Now I know the price is great BUT if you have problems you lost any value right? For that price I believe you can get a Savage Axis combo , which is NOT a second label if you will. And also, if you shop Dick's Sporting Goods during sales etc. they have private label Remington 700s with scopes for like $400-450 ish etc. At mine they had a Camo-covered, scoped, stainless steel model less than $500. And the Remington 700 is the Remington 700.

I would go for a Savage (they make a LOT of options for the money) or a real Remington 700 and never would get a 770 (And I am TREMENDOUSLY happy with my new Remington 700 from November). If you can go between 4-500 you really Really REALLY open the options wide open.

ALSO- I FORGOT, Remington just announced a new rifle at Shot Show.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-783/model-783.aspx

Remington 783 - THIS IS TOTALLY right up your alley. Designed to be the best rifle you can buy for the purchase price. If I didn't drop double on a 700 in November I would have bought this one.

I really wanted to reply back with more than my previous post. The movie was getting ready to start and I had to be quick.

I seen the 783 about two weeks ago on the Internet and really liked it. The more I think about it, the more I may wait a bit and save a little more and get a better gun from the beginning.

Thanks for the heads up on the 770. I haven't had much time to really dig for reviews.

I was considering the savages also, I may have to get my hands on one to check it out.

I may push this purchase off for a while. I was finally able to take a step back tonight, and immerse myself back into reality.

These past few weeks have been nothing but firearms and politics.

I think I need a spending intervention.

Thanks again for your advice, I will probably look at the $500-$1000 budget in a few months or a year.

Yeah yes sir that is basically exactly what I was talking about. Cabelas has their own ADL combos, Dick's has some , Gander Mountain maybe, etc. I know its slightly more than the 770 combo you originally wanted but HEAD AND SHOULDERS a better rifle. And infinitely better in the long run if you ever want to upgrade, the 700 is the leader in aftermarket upgradeable everything.

Haha after all theses hours, you were replying while I was writing my last post lol

Hey it's no problem and all I can give you is my experience, research, facts and findings and of course my own opinions. Which weigh more to some than others around here that' for damned sure :)

Anyway let me make it clear, I am not in the least trying to say "You need to spend more!!" I was raised with the idea "When you don't have it you don't have it" or hey, I might have $350, 400, or 450, but I DONT have 500, I just am not going to have it. So I can say all day long (and I read other people say all the time on the internet gun forums) "Just save up some more! Then you can buy the Remington 700 M24 SWS . Sure it's $12000. Just *SAVE UP*".

Now specifically for you, I just wanted to point out, how much more you can get in the rifle for a minimum amount of savings up more. The 783 looks to be a huge improvement over the 770. Supposed to be a big technological advancement in rifle Remington technology for small amount of money. Plus as we have already discussed, you can get 700s for $100 more than your price of the 770s. Having bought a 700 recently, I am absolutely excited and ecstatic about it. And having looked for the Savages during the time, I can say I would be equally happy with them. So as long as you keep your options open and don't rush out saying "I want arifle today, I have enough for the 770, so I will just get it" I am sure you will be happy.

One thing I learned with optics particularly, Buy Once Cry Once. Nothing sucks more than spending $100 or $200, having the thing suck or break, then needing to spend another $4-$500, and having already lost the original amount.