kahout

Handgun Target Practice Laws

I'm sure I am missing one or more of the thousand laws in my interpretation of this. If your purpose is to target practice does this law allow you to do so with a rifle providing you have a valid hunting license? Apparently a handgun is not allowed since it is not appropriate for hunting; is that right?

I will never understand the crazy laws in NJ. Is there any legal way to target practice in NJ with a handgun outside of a range, say on private property assuming a non-residential area?

Just wondering...

(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the

waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that

the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State

and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water

fishing, a valid fishing license;

There are discharge ordinances for each town, you should find yours out if you wanna shoot in wood of your own property. However handgun out for hunting on common ground is not allowed, rifles it depends some area's are bow only some are muzzle loader, then some allow rifles. It just depends on the area, where ever it is you want to do this talk to the local PD and whatever they say get some sort of documentation of it. Since cops make up laws sometimes.

Thanks for the replies. My main focus was the question of public land.... apparently no-go with a handgun.

on public land? sketchy in any capacity.. I am not sure exactly why off the top of my head.. but they have 22 rimfire and shotgun ranges setup on some public land.. if you were allowed to just target shoot anywhere in the woods that could be iffy considering how flat NJ tends to be... you shoot something like 308.. and it has the potential to go pretty far..

on public land? sketchy in any capacity.. I am not sure exactly why off the top of my head.. but they have 22 rimfire and shotgun ranges setup on some public land.. if you were allowed to just target shoot anywhere in the woods that could be iffy considering how flat NJ tends to be... you shoot something like 308.. and it has the potential to go pretty far..

I guess you never ventured north of I-195 much when you lived in NJ? Nothing flat about anywhere up here.

I guess you never ventured north of I-195 much when you lived in NJ? Nothing flat about anywhere up here.

hmm I was always under the impression that you could not hunt with rifle in NJ partially due to the safety factor of the land..... but with not being a hunter it is not something I "knew" as "fact"... I guess just something I was told at some point and took as logical..

The hunting laws are written for the whole State. Go down to hunt deer in Atlantic County and in some places your pointing your shotgun at Atlantic City's Hotels........

Not every locale features the Appillatian Trail, lol

hmm I was always under the impression that you could not hunt with rifle in NJ partially due to the safety factor of the land..... but with not being a hunter it is not something I "knew" as "fact"... I guess just something I was told at some point and took as logical..

F&G's logic for not allowing modern rifles to hunt (woodchucks excluded) is a concern over the density of the state in general, too many houses in close proximity and too many other hunters in the woods, with the latter being less of an issue these days. It has never involved terrain, as far as I know. I think they should allow some rifle hunting on larger parcels of private land, like other states (CT) that have high density do, but I doubt we're going to see that.