illy

OGAM Question(s) plus poll/suggestions on purchase.

1. To exempt or not to exempt:

I'm currently waiting on 3 permits to come through. In the meantime, I bought 2 handguns. Applying for a multi-gun exemption is probably not worth it, right?

What's the average turn around on those requests, still 2-3 weeks or has it gotten longer?

If it's anything over 3 weeks, it probably wouldn’t be worth it, especially for 2 guns.

Or can the exemption be applied for before the P2Ps come in, such that when my PD calls me to pick up the permits, I'll already be good to go for the multiple transfer?

2. Depending on how long these permits take, I may be ready for a 3rd by the time they're ready..

Here's what I'm considering:

Glock 23- Because I don't own a Glock or a .40 cal.

Ruger LCR .38spcl-  Because maybe I'll actually get around to applying for those FL/Utah carry permits this year.

Single Action in .41 mag- For handgun hunting (over the border in the U.S.A.)

A 1911- No justification needed here, right?

The budget for this gun is gonna be $600 tops (that's out the door, tax, NICS, gas and tolls).

Any suggestions?

P.S. Here's what I'm NOT looking for (at this time)- any other .45, full-size 9mm or anything chambered smaller than 9mm/38.

It isn't worth using an exemption for less then 3 handguns. IDK how long current wait times are for SP paperwork but it is a nice feeling walking in to the store getting a single NICS check done, and walking out with 3 handguns. I almost feel like an American.

Last I spoke with Rick at OMG he had a bunch of Glocks in the safe. I think he had a .40 cal, but he has a bunch of handguns for sale.

I did an exemption with Rick months ago, it felt like the paperwork took forever but in the end it was worth it.

@John:  I saw that Rick had posted in the marketplace that he had a bunch of glocks. I'm going to check out what he's got when I do my transfers.

@WV: That's what I was I thinking.

@BLF: Yeah that's about it in that price point. I'll probably put off the 1911 until next year and get something better.

LCR is light and has a great trigger but it really isn't any fun to shoot. If you want a comfortable carry gun that can fit in a pocket or IWB and is still fun to shoot try a kahr cw9. I have the pm9 - basically the same gun with a few bells and whistles but outside your price range - and it's a great gun.