Sign in to follow this  
mikka1

Couple of legal and practical questions: FID, Utah CCW, moving out of NJ etc...

Hi all,

I am now in the beginning of FID processing so I still have at least 2-3 months (maybe even more) before I see my FID and P2Ps, but several questions already came to my mind. Maybe you'll be able to help me to answer at least some of them:

1) I am hoping  thinking of moving out of state in the next 6-8 months (most likely around Christmas time, maybe a bit later). Not yet sure where I will be heading - a lot will depend on the job, but already have a couple of possible destinations in mind. With extremely long FID processing times I would not be surprised if by the time they make a final decision I will already be a resident of another state. What will happen then with my FID?

- will it just be destroyed and the process abandoned?

or

- will there be a formal denial on the grounds of not being a NJ resident anymore?

or

- will it be somehow modified to a FID of out of state resident?

In fact, similar question is what if I move out *after* I get my FID? (and possibly buy a handgun) - is there any good info on what happens when a gun owner moves from one state to another?

2) Transporting firearms in NJ. As far as I understand, if I have a FID and legally own firearms I can more or less safely transport them in the trunk of the car if I go from home to e.g. the range. But the thing is that I don't own a car - parking is a mess in that part of NJ I live in, public transportation at the same time is relatively good, so I use buses, trains and my bike for short distances. How can I transport firearms to the range if I go there by bike? Is just putting a firearm to the backback in a closed container separately from ammo enough? Generally, let's imagine I live 2 miles from a range and I want to walk there - what are the requirements to transporting a firearm in that case?

3) Utah CCW and moving out of state. I wanted to add a CCW permit and given its potential processing time I was also thinking about starting it now. Getting back to my potential move, how it will impact my Utah CCW?

- if I move to the state that HAS the reciprocity agreement with Utah thus requiring me to obtain local permit to carry before I can obtain Utah CCW, how the process will look like? To make it more specific, if I move to NC (which I really want to), will my Utah CCW become void the moment I become a NC resident until I provide them with NC permit?

- generally, how difficult it is to change address on Utah CCW?

- if I move before I get my Utah CCW, will I have a chance to amend it before even getting it? Or once you send your paperwork it's already done and you have to wait for it to come exactly to the address you listed?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I am now in the beginning of FID processing so I still have at least 2-3 months (maybe even more) before I see my FID and P2Ps, but several questions already came to my mind. Maybe you'll be able to help me to answer at least some of them:

1) I am hoping  thinking of moving out of state in the next 6-8 months (most likely around Christmas time, maybe a bit later). Not yet sure where I will be heading - a lot will depend on the job, but already have a couple of possible destinations in mind. With extremely long FID processing times I would not be surprised if by the time they make a final decision I will already be a resident of another state. What will happen then with my FID?

- will it just be destroyed and the process abandoned?

or

- will there be a formal denial on the grounds of not being a NJ resident anymore?

or

- will it be somehow modified to a FID of out of state resident?

Probably would not be issued. You are no longer a resident at the address you applied from.

In fact, similar question is what if I move out *after* I get my FID? (and possibly buy a handgun) - is there any good info on what happens when a gun owner moves from one state to another?

You are subject to the laws of the state you are moving to. Can you file for an address change with the NJSP? Yes. You will probably have to come back to pick it up at a NJSP barracks somewhere (Trenton)?

2) Transporting firearms in NJ. As far as I understand, if I have a FID and legally own firearms I can more or less safely transport them in the trunk of the car if I go from home to e.g. the range. But the thing is that I don't own a car - parking is a mess in that part of NJ I live in, public transportation at the same time is relatively good, so I use buses, trains and my bike for short distances. How can I transport firearms to the range if I go there by bike? Is just putting a firearm to the backback in a closed container separately from ammo enough? Generally, let's imagine I live 2 miles from a range and I want to walk there - what are the requirements to transporting a firearm in that case?

Same as in a car. Unloaded and securely bundled. Hopefully, non-descript. What are the rules for the public transportation companies, I don't know.

3) Utah CCW and moving out of state. I wanted to add a CCW permit and given its potential processing time I was also thinking about starting it now. Getting back to my potential move, how it will impact my Utah CCW?

- if I move to the state that HAS the reciprocity agreement with Utah thus requiring me to obtain local permit to carry before I can obtain Utah CCW, how the process will look like? To make it more specific, if I move to NC (which I really want to), will my Utah CCW become void the moment I become a NC resident until I provide them with NC permit?

- generally, how difficult it is to change address on Utah CCW?

- if I move before I get my Utah CCW, will I have a chance to amend it before even getting it? Or once you send your paperwork it's already done and you have to wait for it to come exactly to the address you listed?

If your destination state has reciprocity with Utah you must have a CCW from your destination state. Therefore, you would have to obtain a CCW from your destination state, copy the front and back of your CCW and drivers license from that state and mail it with a change of address to Utah. Utah CCW's are issuing within 90 days. I doubt you would be able to change the address before issue as you have to meet the requirements I stated above. I also would not use the Utah CCW once you surrender your NJ drivers license to the destination state, until same requirements are met.

If your destination state has reciprocity with Utah you must have a CCW from your destination state. Therefore, you would have to obtain a CCW from your destination state, copy the front and back of your CCW and drivers license from that state and mail it with a change of address to Utah. Utah CCW's are issuing within 90 days. I doubt you would be able to change the address before issue as you have to meet the requirements I stated above. I also would not use the Utah CCW once you surrender your NJ drivers license to the destination state, until same requirements are met.

If your looking to move out of state that soon, don't bother. Wait until you escape here and save yourself the headaches.

Many thanks for your replies.

So, do I understand right that potential hassle of changing address on Utah CCW (especially when moving to the state with reciprocity agreements with Utah) is comparable to getting it from scratch while already having "local" permit to carry? If so, then I would agree that might not make too much sense to start now.

Other than that, FID process is started already and this is obviously not 100% that I move that soon, so might still be good to have.

P.S. I didn't really want to use the word "escape", but with constantly increasing rent, new taxes (like "Amazon" tax), increasing unemployment and other socio-economic trends of times this might be the right word to say :-( I wish it was only about firearms licensing :-)...