RedRiverII

Internals of Krieghoff compared to internals of Blaser

I can only offer insight from what I've read and from a few shooters I know who have them, and love them dearly. The Krieghoff has the reputation for withstanding 100,000 rounds before maybe needing a tuneup. Many Krieghoff's today have more rounds than that fired through them.

The Krieghoff design has been around since 1932, for it began its life as the Remington Model 32. The design is pure American. Remington designed the Model 32 to compete with the premium Browning Superposed, which had come out in 1931. Remington, owned by DuPont at the time, chose not to renew the patent on the 32 as they had stopped production of the gun during WWII. Introduced during the Depression and then the war didn't give it much hope for the shotgun. Hal DuPont convinced Remington to allow Krieghoff to build the 32. Krieghoff opted to alter the design of the Remington trigger under recommendations from some competition shooters, and went to Miller Triggers in Pennsylvania to design a single trigger for the O/U. (Miller was famous for designing single-triggers for other American doubles at the time.) Krieghoff began producing K32's in 1955, and the rest is history. The K80 came about when Dieter Krieghoff moved to the U.S. to start Krieghoff International in 1980. It's a timeless design that has withstood the test of time, which is usually a good testament to quality and longevity.

As for the difference between internals, I can't offer a first-hand opinion. Check the forums on trapshooters.com and shotgunworld.com. There's a ton of opinionated Krieghoff and Blaser and Kolar and Beretta and Perazzi shooters there. Krieghoff's have a cult-like following today.

PS - Have you looked at a Krieghoff KS5/Special? I've heard good things about them also and if single's trap is all you shoot, it just may be the ticket.

I suppose there is a cult spread. Krieghoff sells every gun they make each year. Used ones can sometimes be found for a good price though. I'm partial to the Parcours model they came out with last year. A bit less heft and I like its lines. Someday I can see myself getting one.

The Krieghoffs are nice, but have the blockier feel of a Browning to me. The Blasers are nice, but do not hold their value nearly as well. You are far more likely to find a good deal on a lightly used Blaser.