denisl

Change of Address - Forms

I need to change my address with the Hamilton State Police (Millstone Twp).  

They told me to come by and pick up the packet with the forms I need to change my address.  

Anyone know what's in this packet? Can I just download what I need and show up prepared?

Has anyone done this with the Hamilton State PD?

Thank you.

It's probably quicker to just go pick the forms up.  If they have window hours, you may miss them if you wait too long.

A change of address is common, I did one several years ago.  It shouldn't take too long.  Just try to get an estimated time for completion, and try to get your license changed around the same time.  I don't remember if matching address is a requirement, but I know that some people care.

Don't be surprised if they run you through the whole process again, application (with chg of address marked), nuthouse check, Criminal backround check (done online now), and surprise, surprise fingerprints.

Do they have too? NO! But it's up to the NJSP rules they follow not what's required by law. 

Application can be downloaded off NJSP website along with nuthouse forms.

http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html

STS-033 and STS-066.

I'm in the process of doing a change of address in River Vale. Had to fill out all the same paperwork as if applying for pistol purchase permits. Had to pay the $20 online fee to do a criminal background check. They also sent out letter to my 2 references. That was on 12-4 still waiting.

FPID / P2P Application Process

An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammunition in NJ. It also allows you to transport a long gun outside the specific exemptions stipulated in the statutes. It is good for as long as you live at that address (DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints.

In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions.

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's, or for a replacement or change of address on an existing FPID, is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - If this is your initial application you are required to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment with a Sagem Morpho facility near you. There is a charge for fingerprinting - approximately $50 - $55.

Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting*, just the completion of form SP-212A*. (Non-criminal Background Check). This is now done in an electronic (on-line) format. The URL is:

https://www.njportal...riminalrecords/

You will need your SBI number (FPID number) and your PD’s ORI number, which can be found here...

http://www.icpsr.umi...RIs/NJoris.html

The results will be electronically communicated directly to your PD. A credit card is used for payment ($20 = $18 plus a $2 “convenience” fee).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigating police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website…

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

…or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue)

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are
illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we gun owners are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply. A recent court case upheld this statute and forced a PD to comply.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you that you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

*At the discretion of your CLEO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm actually in the middle of this now. It says Somerville isn't accepting online requests?

I'd call and make sure that what your reading isn't left from the transitional period (switching from hard copy to on-line) and they just have a sloppy webmaster. I was under the impression that, at some point, hard copies would no longer be accepted - just don't know if there is a hard & fast date for that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob