Lublin

.223 reloading bare necesities

There are more little bits and pieces that you need for reloading than come in the kits (ask me how I know).

But, the hardest thing for you is going to be the bullets, powder and primer. They are unobtainium for the most part these days.

All reloading tools and supplies are hard to find right now. Even the 223 dies can be hard to find (I got mine for MSRP through gunbroker).

Besides what's in the kits, I find about 10% of my brass needs trimming after 1-2 shots, half my PMC bronze brass had crimped primers that needed another swaging tool (hard to find), etc.

At this point I think my 223 reloads are down to $1-2 per round, and I've already made a lot....

-Melgamatic

Pick up the trim kits from LEE. Chuck the case holder in a drill and once you get used to the procedure you can trim the cases fairly rapidly. Doing them by hand with the LEE is tough and you will cramp your hands quickly.

If you have Lake City or other mil. surplus brass, the primer crimp must be removed. Depending on the number of cases, you can do it with anything from a chamfering tool to the Dillon which is probably the best and quickest.

I don't want to hijack this forum but I was going ot post sort of the same question but for .38 or .40 rounds. Seeing the prices skyroket I figured hand loading might be a good idea. I have no idea what is involved, what the investment would be etc. Should I start saving spent casings from the range? Can you re-use these casings for re-loading? See? I need loads of info. A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

When Mauser isn't there, I am. :D I'm good for evenings.

Where do you live? I live 15 minutes away from Jackson. If you live in the same cardinal direction, I am willing to show you all I know about reloading.

Depending on how sick you are (reloading is a cruel sickness) I cast my own lead too. I wouldn't be able to shoot if I didn't make my own.

You can save a bunch of $$$ reloading. I, however, don't save a damn cent. But I do have loads for my guns that shoot beautifully and I can afford to shoot a few thousand rounds a month.

I live on Sams Road which is near the Westlake retirement community. Been here since 03. Wife has been here since 96. Dead end street no traffic. Nice. From all that I read on this forum the Central Jersey club is top notch. I am very new at shooting (permits received February this year) but when I get a hobby I go in full bore. I practiced at BA two weeks ago and it cost me $100.00 for 200 rounds and I am a member there! That is what got me thinking of reloading my own.

All the help I got on this forum in a few weeks is amazing. I really appreciate the comraderie and "no attitude" advice.

I used to cast my own too till I found TSM Casting in Toms River. Now I buy his lead bullets.

I've never head of this guy. Does he have a website or a storefront? Or is he small like Solomons? How are his prices?

Nope very small operation in the Ocean County Business Park on Rt. 9 North side. He's only open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM till Noon.

124 grain 9mm lead round nose were $61.00 a 1000 and 200 grain Lead SWC .45 ACP were $63.00 a thousand. He sells powder and primers too but like everyone else he's has no primers at the moment.

His biggest customer is T&T Reloading in PA. I don't have a phone number handy.