DevsAdvocate

Question regarding Springfield M1As...

Is the Springfield SOCOM 16 NJ legal? How about the Scout Squad?

I saw one in Cabela's today in PA, and they were unsure of it's NJ legality (then proceeded to poke fun at our fair state's gun laws).

Any thoughts?

Yes, as it does not have the normal flash suppressor with the lug.

Unrelated I have several friends buy them, only to sell them within a short time. I would go for a standard M1A with the 22 inch barrel of any of the types offered.I think you will be happier in the long run.

Personally, I'm not a big long distance shooter... I think about 200-300 yards is the maximum limit I plan on using it for.

Ideally... I want it as a defensive arm. Maybe invest in an ACOG, or similar optic.

The socom has surprisingly lite recoil. Which makes for very quick follow up shots. It is also much louder than one would think. I never shot mine beyond 100yds. Accuracy was satisfactory with the irons.

I think I may go with the scout squad... the extra two inches on the barrel isn't a deal breaker. Plus there is one at the Cabelas in PA.

How is the recoil on a scout squad?

I can't say as I haven't fired one. But I'm sure it's no worse the a standard M1A. Which is no big deal.

I would also go with the scout between the two. Ultimately I prefer the standard. The socom is a novelty and a neat one at that.

The recoil is more than manageable.....and not bad at all...

It is a fine rifle and shoot very straight...

As stated I might have one for sale shortly...as an aside what is Cabelas in PA asking $$ for it....

They were asking around $1750 for it. With 2 10rnd mags.

No really gas guns need to be cleaned.....

Have you pulled off the gas cylinder lock nut and seen how much carbon builds up inside the cap and piston. Failure to clean those two items are the main cause of a short stroke in the M14/M1A. The drills of the proper size are the only way to clean them out to prevent those types of malfunctions.

I love my M1A Socom, perfectly NJ legal. I've never planned to shoot it further than 200 yards, but you certainly can. You're just not going to get sub MOA results. I don't live in the woods, if I ever need to use this thing it will be house-to-house where the short barrel will be an asset. Very little recoil, but boy is it HEAVY.

DSC00428.jpg

My Garands are much more tolerant of a dirty gas system than the M1A/M14 series. I think the gas system in the M1 Garand is easier to clean.

In reality both will go some disence before actually requiring a total teardown. The only downside of the M1A series is the need for those drills.