Lublin

Legality of vintage, pre-ban firearms

Hello, there are no exemptions in NJ for AW firearms. They do not distinguish between pre, or post ban. Just the named list of AW and then those that are substantially similar to a named AW (substantially similar with the requisite number of evil features = no go).

Hello, there are no exemptions in NJ for AW firearms. They do not distinguish between pre, or post ban. Just the named list of AW and then those that are substantially similar to a named AW (substantially similar with the requisite number of evil features = no go).

NJ sucks a$$ so badly. I learn of more absurd laws everyday. You can't even own a piece of our history. :roll:

Back when they inacted the NJ AWB, you could supposedly register an assault weapon and get a permit to own one,, and I spoke to a guy that claimed to have one of these permits....but unless you did this years ago, you are SOL....you can make a NJ compliant clone however...

Thanks for the info, but that's absurd on NJ's part.

What's the point of a vintage rifle with history if the rifle has been altered to comply with a new(er) law? It would then be a chopped up vintage rifle.

Oh well. :roll:

He stated he doesn't have possession of the firearm but wished to get one and was inquiring as to the legality of it under the NJ statutes.

Fulton Armory produced a slick side AR/M-16 style at one time using the older style triangular hand guard and pronged flash suppressor. Making one NJ legal isn't difficult. How many would even notice the lack of a bayonet lug?

One of the biggest drawbacks is that the original barrel was a 1 in 12 twist. Fine for the older type M193 with the 55 grain bullet. It does not preform well with the heavier bullet types in the 62 grain and up.

If you look around you might get lucky and see something for sale.

sweet.....like that one on top......always liked them triangle handguards.......

Me too. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I just wish I could get it with a 1:7 or 1:9 twist for newer ammo.

Please tell me more about the one on top!

Nodak Spud ( http://www.nodakspud.com/index.htm ) is THE place to go to for Vintage Lowers and Uppers if you want to build. he also has suppliers who can get you ban-state complaint parts like original-looking flash-hiders that are actualy NJ-compliant.

The window to Register the AW's was only for a coupel of weeks IIRC and once it closed no other provision has EVER been made for the registry of "New" AW's.. Kind of like NJ's own version of 922 (o).

sweet.....like that one on top......always liked them triangle handguards.......

Me too. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I just wish I could get it with a 1:7 or 1:9 twist for newer ammo.

Please tell me more about the one on top!

It's an original COLT M16 upper with 1/12 barrel. The bayonet lug has been shaved off and a birdcage brake was welded and pinned on. The lower was an older Eagle arms and I found an original A1 buttstock for it.