brucin

10/22/23 Bowling Pin Shoot East Bangor Sportsmans Assoc.

There will be a bowling pin shoot held at the ranges on October 22nd at 9:30AM (practice will begin at 9). Fee will be $5 per entry or 5 entries for $20. There will be classes for Centerfire Pistol, revolver and unlimited as well as PCC, Rimfire Pistol, Revolver, and unlimited as well as Rimfire rifle.

This is a whole lot of fun. If anyone is interested and needs more info I'll be happy to answer any questions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Do we need to sign up? Or do they allow walk ons?

Just show up pay and shoot. I usually get the 5 for $20. You sign your name on the list for the type you want to shoot and wait till your called. We just doubled the pistol ranges so they may run more than 2 lines. It moves pretty quick with just 2 lines though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Dang...I've got a conflict with a Sunday morning league I shoot.

For anyone on the fence, pin matches are a LOT of fun.

What time does you league wrap up? We're usually there till 2-3. I can text you and let you know if it looks like it will end sooner.

17 hours ago, brucin said:

What time does you league wrap up? We're usually there till 2-3. I can text you and let you know if it looks like it will end sooner.

That might work...my best case for getting on the road would be 11 am (nearly an hour later if I end up on the second relay), and it looks like an hour to the range...so I might get there by noon, and I do have a bunch of pin loads I'd put together many years ago when I ran the matches at CRRC in Princeton Junction.

How much waiting for a slot is usually involved?  Since I wouldn't be there long, I'd be hoping to pack a lot of shooting into a short time.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

That might work...my best case for getting on the road would be 11 am (nearly an hour later if I end up on the second relay), and it looks like an hour to the range...so I might get there by noon, and I do have a bunch of pin loads I'd put together many years ago when I ran the matches at CRRC in Princeton Junction.

How much waiting for a slot is usually involved?  Since I wouldn't be there long, I'd be hoping to pack a lot of shooting into a short time.

As it gets later usually not long. 10-15 minutes tops

27 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Dumb question, how important is power factor when shooting pins? I bought some jello shot ammo (147 grain, 890fps) and I wanted to try it. 

147 gr is about as good as it gets for 9 mm.   Bullet weight (momentum, PF) is more important than kinetic energy for clearing pins off the table.  Heavy bullets rule.  Back when I was shooting this regularly, I used 180 gr in the .357, and 250 gr in the .45, both unusually heavy for the caliber.

But it's fun no matter what you are shooting.  Bring extra mags; pins knocked over can sometimes take a lot of additional shots to clear completely off the table.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 10X said:

pins knocked over can sometimes take a lot of additional shots (be impossible)  to clear completely off the table.

Nothing spins in place like a bowling pin laying on its side struck by a .357 round. Fixed your post above.

As for ammo I use Federal Syntech 150 gr 9mm. I'm going to scour my .357 stash for some heavy bullets. The real skill or luck is knocking the pins off the table with .22.

• Like 1