gloom

Gone South

(I usually skip this part.) I'm a former long-time NJ resident gone south. Since my sisters in NJ have pistols now, I figure it might be helpful if I'm up to date on gun related topics in NJ. I wasn't a gun owner in NJ, but now I have growing family. heh (The latest addition is a shotgun for clays and maybe multi-gun competition.) I recently read that NJ limits shotguns magazines to 6 rounds which I didn't expect. That's an example of why I need to stay informed! I figured it would be 10 rounds like pistols. (Maybe 10 mini shells?)

Although I empathize with the difficulty of gun ownership in NJ I was also pleasantly surprised while searching for range and competition options! There is a lot going on that I never knew about! And the positive changes to concealed carry! And all the fellow gun people here! (The Pew Crew? No?)

Edited by gloom

Hey, welcome to our clubhouse.  The six round limit on shotguns (6 + 1) in NJ applies only to semiautos.  There is no limit on pumps. I do not know how mini shells are treated under the law.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I do not know how mini shells are treated under the law.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

I don't think it will be an issue. My understanding is mini-shells don't work well (if at all) in semi-autos, so it's a moot point.

10 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Hey, welcome to our clubhouse.  The six round limit on shotguns (6 + 1) in NJ applies only to semiautos.  There is no limit on pumps. I do not know how mini shells are treated under the law.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

Oh! That makes a big difference! (Of course a semi-auto is more "assaulty" than a pump. heheh)

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I don't think it will be an issue. My understanding is mini-shells don't work well (if at all) in semi-autos, so it's a moot point.

Good point! Although I can see someone getting into trouble for even loading up with minis.

My new Viper G2 cycles 1oz@1170fps, but it stovepipes on 7/8oz@1200fps, so I imagine minis might be a little short on energy, apart from the size issue.

Now I see that Aguila has a mini 7/8oz slug at 1300fps and Federal has a mini 1oz slug at 1200fps, both of which might have enough energy. 

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Yes, that has been my experience with them.  I have been able to get it to fire by feeding one round into the chamber, but it will not cycle.

Did the bolt even move? I tried Winchester AA low-recoil 2-3/4" shells, 26grams at 980fps, and the bolt didn't move. 

The minis would be interesting if they feed reliably in a pump or if a shotgun were designed around them. 

3 minutes ago, gloom said:

The minis would be interesting if they feed reliably in a pump or if a shotgun were designed around them. 

There are multiple videos on YT of mini-shells failing to cycle and/or feed properly in semi-autos.

20 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

There are multiple videos on YT of mini-shells failing to cycle and/or feed properly in semi-autos.

No doubt! This pump is interesting though. Designed to handle minis and holds 13+1! https://www.mossberg.com/590s-51602.html

(I wonder if "ghost loading" violates any laws. Say, 6+1+1 in a semi-auto. Never mind! I'm really going down the rabbit hole! haha)

28 minutes ago, gloom said:

(I wonder if "ghost loading" violates any laws. Say, 6+1+1 in a semi-auto. Never mind! I'm really going down the rabbit hole! haha)

Ghost loading isn't an issue. The statute restricts the number of shells the magazine can hold. It is silent on how many can be sitting on the lifter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Ghost loading isn't an issue. The statute restricts the number of shells the magazine can hold. It is silent on how many can be sitting on the lifter.

That's good to know! Do you know if pump-actions have a round limit? Back to my original assumption, I imagine it would be 10.

9 minutes ago, gloom said:

round limit?

Only semi-auto has a limit.  Manual actions are unlimited, including rifles and shotguns with external mags.  The only thing is, you can't have, say, a 20 rd mag for a bolt action rifle if that mag can also be used in a semi-auto.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Only semi-auto has a limit.  Manual actions are unlimited, including rifles and shotguns with external mags.  The only thing is, you can't have, say, a 20 rd mag for a bolt action rifle if that mag can also be used in a semi-auto.  

Wow, there are no shortages of surprises when it comes to gun laws! Thanks.