SmokenClay

One Handgun a Month lawsuit?

There was already a challenge to the one-gun-a-month rule years ago, and the NJ Supreme Court already ruled it's good to go.

This is New Jersey, where the 'law' means what they want it to mean. Public interest, safety, and all the rest. The thirty day clock will start when they feel like it. So shut up and wait. We don't need no stinkin' statutes.

Somewhere on this site this is discussed if you want case specifics.

15 minutes ago, SmokenClay said:

Ok I couldn't find that and I'm guessing t would probably have been before the Bruen decision.  Anything post-Bruen?

Yes, it was way back after the statute was passed and many PDs were ignoring the 30 day mandate.

Nothing post-Bruen, and there won't be. No one's going to waste their time and money. The current NJ Supreme Court isn't going to overturn itself for our benefit. You know, 'it's for the children' etc.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

statute was passed and many PDs were ignoring the 30 day mandate.

I think we are talking about 2 different things.  I'm talking about quotas (how many handguns you can purchase in a certain period of time) not how fast a PD must issue a permit.

16 minutes ago, SmokenClay said:

I think we are talking about 2 different things.  I'm talking about quotas (how many handguns you can purchase in a certain period of time) not how fast a PD must issue a permit.

OK, you're right. To be frank, I've been in NJ my entire life and I'm so tired of navigating the minefield sometimes I just give up.

To the best of my recollection there's never been an issue with the one-gun-a-month 30 day arithmetic. And I don't recall if there's ever been a lawsuit specifically about the fact of restricting handgun purchases to one per 30 days. I'll let others chime in on that.

The requirement to issue a permit-to-purchase within 30 days is what I referred to, not your topic.

Having said that, IMO any lawsuit to remove the one-gun-a-month restriction will/would have to go past the NJ Supreme Court to have any chance of success.

If the $50 handgun purchase permit fee becomes law, that I think would be even more onerous.

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

If the $50 handgun purchase permit fee becomes law, that I think would be even more onerous.

They are getting exactly what they are after as these increases will discourage purchases.  Fingers crossed we win on fees and such.  If not, my time in NJ will be short.  I was born in NJ and except for my Army service I have resided in NJ.  I love the area but they are taxing us to death and give us nothing in return, they just give it to people who don't pay into the system.  The way it's going there's no way I can retire here and keep up with the tax increases.  Jacking up firearms related fees is just going to make me look to move sooner than later.

• Agree 1