Moving to NJ - Need some assistance...

recommended_posts

Before you tell me not to move to NJ, I know, it sucks. lol  I actually lived in Jersey most of my life and moved over to PA 5 years ago, and now I plan on coming back.  I bought my first firearms when I was a NJ resident, so I am pretty familiar with the laws, however I do have a couple questions...

I have acquired a nice collection while living in PA and obviously want to make sure I follow the law when I come back.  I have a few AR's that I built myself.  As long as I pin the stock and replace the flash hider with a pinned/welded muzzle brake, I am good, right?

Also, regarding the "Other/Non-NFA firearms", would it be the same deal?  I have a couple AR pistol style firearms that I built.  The stripped receivers were bought as "other" on the ATF form at the FFL.  So, if I ensure the barrel is at least 12.5" and there's a vertical foregrip, would I be good?  

I appreciate any assistance.  

39 minutes ago, PatriotJoe13 said:

I have a few AR's that I built myself.  As long as I pin the stock and replace the flash hider with a pinned/welded muzzle brake, I am good, right?

If any of them have a bayonet lug, that has to go too.

40 minutes ago, PatriotJoe13 said:

Also, regarding the "Other/Non-NFA firearms", would it be the same deal?  I have a couple AR pistol style firearms that I built.  The stripped receivers were bought as "other" on the ATF form at the FFL.  So, if I ensure the barrel is at least 12.5" and there's a vertical foregrip, would I be good? 

The key features are the VFG and a minimum overall length of 26". The barrel length is not a problem. There are longer than milspec receiver extensions that will make an AR with a shorter barrel legal as a non-NFA Other.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

If any of them have a bayonet lug, that has to go too.

The key features are the VFG and a minimum overall length of 26". The barrel length is not a problem. There are longer than milspec receiver extensions that will make an AR with a shorter barrel legal as a non-NFA Other.

Yea, I'm pretty sure none of mine have the bayonet lug, so we're good there. 

This whole "non-NFA/other" thing still baffles the heck out of me, but I like it. haha.  You measure from threaded part of barrel to end of buffer tube for OAL, correct?

Look into Kali Key transforms AR to Semi-Auto Rifle. 

Posted (edited)

Your understanding of the AR modifications seems spot on – pinning the stock and replacing the flash hider with a pinned/welded muzzle brake should keep you in the clear. For the "Other/Non-NFA firearms," ensuring the barrel is at least 12.5" and adding a vertical foregrip should comply with NJ regulations.

As for moving back, I feel you – I recently moved to a new state, and it was pretty challenging. A friend recommended a moving company that really helped simplify things. If you need assistance, check out https://threemovers.com/what-is-considered-long-distance-for-a-moving-company/ .

Edited by Fideri

guest_post_header

guest_post_pbr_blurb guest_post_sign_in

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   editor_cannot_paste_images