Sign in to follow this  
coldsolderjoint

Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo .31 Blackpowder

the original sills act in 1965 excluded all black powder arms but it was amended in apx. 1970 to

include them if they were not produced before 1898 - the only legal way for a n.j. resident to acquire a handgun is thru a n.j. pistol permit or thru an inheritance ( must not be a prohibited person ) - yes the pa. purchase is legal by pa. + federal law - another thing to remember is that in new jersey the proof of ownership is on you - if any weapon is seized by police for any reason ( ie. car accident on way to range etc. ) the arms will not be returned unless you can show proof of ownership - if you show proof of ownership via a pa. purchase receipt you are in violation of n.j. law - the ultimate authorities in this are the n.j. state police firearms unit + the state attorney generals office - most local police + county prosecuters are ignorant of the full letter of the law - if you want to request an official opinion from the state police or the attorney general do it thru an attorney anonomously or you will be watched - they sometimes devote a lot of their workload to convicting honest citizens rather than going after criminals - my dates might be slightly off but you can find answers in 2c39 + 2c58 statues -

quote from 2c39-5 (any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun including antique without having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in njs 2c58-4 is guilty of a crime of the third degrre ) -

2c39-6 also states that nothing in 2c39-5 shall prevent a person from keeping or carrying ANY FIREARM at his premises , residence , or business - i wonder if any firearm covers assault rifles , full auto , + cannons - another interesting thing in n.j. firearms law , common slings shots , blow guns , pea shooters , + etc. are illegal weapons - no regulations about flame throwers if you want one -

I don't think these guns are guns in NYC (witness the brouhaha over the black powder gun recently in the press), and I don't think they are guns in NJ. Can someone show actual law proving or disproving this?

A member of NYPD (knowledgable in firearms) told me BP guns of all types in NY are not considered firearms if you don't intend to shoot them. Essentially, curios. If you intend to shoot them all firearms laws apply.

Sounds screwy but it is NY.

case in nyc now about a high grade replica flintlock rifle - gun seized + owner arrested for not having a permit -