223lover

Another stupid question

I narrowed my search on gunbroker to just sales from New Jersey and was surprised to see

a few weapons that are on the banned list. i.e. COLT ar-15's. So it begs the question how can you sell a weapon that is illegal to possess. Are FFL holders exempt from the constrictions on possession of such weapons? Ok, I know that's 2 questions.

Are you sure it was stamped COLT AR-15 on the receiver? If so it would be an illegal rifle. If stamped Colt Sporter it would be legal.

Remember semi-auto's are illegal by name not by type. A bushmaster XM15 is perfectly legal if in "post-ban" configuration. No bayonet lug, no folding/collapsable stock and no flashhider.

Can you provide a link to the Gunbroker ad you saw?

I see FFL's in NJ all the time with NJ illegal weapons for sale on Gunbroker. There's a guy in North Jersey that sells the GSG-5 pistol on gunbroker and when asked, he will tell you that he cannot and will not sell it to an NJ resident. FFL's are also allowed to have mags larger than 15 rds, though I understand the paperwork is supposed to be awful...

Are FFL holders exempt from the constrictions on possession of such weapons?

FFLs can possess the "forbidden weapons" but can only transfer them to a LE agency, to another FFL out of state, or to someone with the "existing in statute only because no one has one" assault weapon permit (same process as a full auto weapon and we know how many of those have been issued).

Here's the link. The one for sale is indeed a sporter II but that sure looks like a bayonet lug and a flash hider to me. But I was told that the Sporter I that I got rid of was illegal because it was stamped, Colt AR-15 cal .223 .Damn I really liked that Colt too.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =143986764

Here's the link. The one for sale is indeed a sporter II but that sure looks like a bayonet lug and a flash hider to me. But I was told that the Sporter I that I got rid of was illegal because it was stamped, Colt AR-15 cal .223 .Damn I really liked that Colt too.

Yes that would be illegal for us citizens of NJ to own. Maybe he's a dealer or maybe he's unaware of the law.

The lug has the sides ground down so it's legal. the angle is bad on the muzzle, but it LOOKS like it might be a cav-comp or similar.

The lug has the sides ground down so it's legal. the angle is bad on the muzzle, but it LOOKS like it might be a cav-comp or similar.

Doesn't matter. The receiver is still illegal in NJ as it's stamped AR-15.