unclenunzie

Hollow point handgun ammo and interstate travel?

I will be flying to Florida in December and will be taking one or two pistols for CCW there. I have some Pow'rBall ammo which I feel would avoid any NJ hollowpoint issues when I go through the unloaded declaration process at newark airport. However I would like to take some gold dots if I have a choice. I have a valid FL carry license. Does anyone know if I would be violating any NJ law in transporting the gold dots or pow'rballs, and if not, would NJ leo if present take any action against me?

If it looks iffy I may just ship a box or two to my destination ahead of time.

Thanks, unclenunzie

Should not be a problem. It is no different that purchasing them and bringing them home. Just follow all the requirements of separating and be aware that transporting of firearms varies between airlines. Get the proper information before the flight to avoid any problems.

The fact that you have a FL CCW provides proof that it is legal for you to have the HP ammo at your destination. I fly quite a bit with firearms (all through PHL) and have never had my ammunition looked at. I just declare it all at check in. The TSA just asks if the ammo is in the original packaging or in a container that separates each round. i usually have the ammo in a plastic ammo box that separates each round. The last time I flew was last week and there were no issues.

Should not be a problem. It is no different that purchasing them and bringing them home. Just follow all the requirements of separating and be aware that transporting of firearms varies between airlines. Get the proper information before the flight to avoid any problems.

I have a commonly used steel hard-side case that locks with a key for the guns (meets TSA requirements per maker). The case is large enough for 2 pistols but not anything else. The separating would be to keep the ammo in it's orignal boxes, inside my checked luggage but *not* inside the steel gun case. I think?

I also have nice gun locks that block the chamber and barrel with an obvious bright red muzzle plug. I think this helps TSA see immediately the guns are not loaded and cannot be loaded.

Thank you,

unclenunzie

The fact that you have a FL CCW provides proof that it is legal for you to have the HP ammo at your destination. I fly quite a bit with firearms (all through PHL) and have never had my ammunition looked at. I just declare it all at check in. The TSA just asks if the ammo is in the original packaging or in a container that separates each round. i usually have the ammo in a plastic ammo box that separates each round. The last time I flew was last week and there were no issues.

I thought that might be the case, but the NJSP website talks only about "sportsmen" and having a valid hunting license at the destination whether NJ or not. Does make simple sense though, since it is perfectly legal for me to possess HP ammo in FL and my license connects to my destination for a lawful purpose, namely carry.

Sure would be nice if someday, we could have national guidelines for state firearms laws driven by 2A incorporation into 14A.