FlyersFan

Putting On A New Stock

Hey guys! Quick question from a novice. I bought a used Mini-14 recently, but I'm looking to replace the synthetic stock it came with because it has a bunch of scratches on it. I've never really modified any of my guns before, so this is new territory for me. If I bought something like this (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23893-1.html), would I merely take out the screw in the middle of the stock, take the old stock off, slip the new stock on, and screw it back on...or is it more complicated than that?

I also noticed there are Hogue stocks available for the Mini 14 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87714-1.html) that don't even have a place for that screw in the middle of the stock, or at least don't look like they do from the pictures I've seen. Would they be installed in the same manner as the other stock?

(If it makes any difference, the serial # of my Mini 14 is in the 186 range.)

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate when you guys take the time to answer my n00b questions, haha. :)

I have had several Ruger rifles (77/44, 10/22, and a PC-9 I still own). All of them were extremely easy to disassemble the stock from the receiver. Most of them have a large screw that goes from the bottom of the stock through to a threaded hole in the receiver. Towards the muzzle, the 10/22 and PC-9 had barrel bands that needed loosening to slip off. All this could be done in about two minutes with a flathead screwdriver. That said, I have no experience taking apart a Mini-14. I can't imagine it's much different, especially since its profile is very similar to my PC-9.