Sign in to follow this  
Guest *_*

Turkey Hunt 4/29...

So today I started out at 5am, and was in my spot, decoys on the hill and started calling away.

I was using my slate call, and my crow call...about an hour after sunup I had 3 crows over head and a squirrel looking at me like...'what are you doing?' I heard no turkeys. Walked at 8 to another spot, saw 3 deer, walked at 10 to another spot and started calling away...then I heard a gobbler respond...got him to respond a couple of times...I was thinking he would see the decoys, hear the calls, and blamo!! (I was wearing a full ghilly suit, full head/face cover,) So I called a few more times, and it sounded like he was coming, then he went silent...I heard a few clucks later, but it was noon and I had to wrap it up.

My question: Does a Jake and a Hen decoy put out together screw it up?

Should I just go with the hen decoy only at this time?

I will post again tuesday when I am able to go back out and hunt....

Im a total noob at this but a jake and hen together do not provide a problem, its common. Realistic looking decoys, with the hen feeding and the jake standing around seem to be popular. That way the tom sees the hen and goes after the jake for taking his happy times. You don't want to call too much or to loud though, you want him to come to you.

I had him in, but something spooked him...he didnt show himself...I had the jake positioned to be facing the field that the turkeys would most likely come in from (field reports from owners of the land I hunt), so I thought that maybe I should have had the hen more prominent than the jake...

The gobbler and I did have a 'call and response' moment though...I have never hunted turkeys before so this is the first time for me, but I do hunt deer and small birds quite a bit...

I am going to go back out next week, so I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

I had him in, but something spooked him...he didnt show himself...I had the jake positioned to be facing the field that the turkeys would most likely come in from (field reports from owners of the land I hunt), so I thought that maybe I should have had the hen more prominent than the jake...

The gobbler and I did have a 'call and response' moment though...I have never hunted turkeys before so this is the first time for me, but I do hunt deer and small birds quite a bit...

I am going to go back out next week, so I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Did you move at all or do anything when he spooked? I personally would put the hen more prominent if that's what your punching out on the call. But like I said I'm just another new guy, "D" will be my time to figure out :twisted:

I am going out tomorrow so I will keep you posted. I will go easy on the call, last time I was rocking it, and I think my hunting partner started to move around and spooked the bird, because about 15 minutes after he stopped gobbling, I saw my buddy come up from that area...tomorrow I am telling him to 'stay away'...