Malsua

.22 CBs comparison

I shot 3 of the commercially available CB caps today.

I shot all four of the below rounds in a video just to compare the volume of the report. CB vs Long Rifle. A CB cap has no(or very little) powder, relying on the primer to propel the bullet.

The cartridges were: Aguila Colibri 350FPS, Aguila Super Colibri 500FPS, CCI CB shorts 710FPS, Federal Long rifle 1240FPS are tge four cartridges shot in this video.

Clearly the 350FPS ammo has the least amount of noise. No more than a pffft. It's also not very accurate.

The Super Colibri at 500fps makes slightly more noise, but still very quiet. This would be the minimum accuracy I would use if shooting rats or something.

The CCI CB shorts are pretty accurate but also make the most noise. It's still very quiet compared to a long rifle. I wouldn't be afraid to take small game with this round(at short distances). It has a bit of energy so you could expect a quick kill.

None of the CB ammo was accurate out at 40 yards. The CCI was reasonably at 25 yards.

My only complaint was that there were like 3 guys shooting every 5-10 seconds on 300. The Colibri are kinda neat...it sounds just like a pellet gun.

The CCI has a slight bit of a bang. Not much...just a little.

The CCI would make a good feral cat remover :twisted:

I use the CB longs as the brass matches the 22 LR and does not leave residue shorter in the chamber causing feeding and extraction problems when going back to the long rifles.

I bought the 3 types available at Natchezss at the time. A few weeks ago when I ordered this, the CB longs were out of stock. I agree, they make more sense but then again, these things don't leave much powder in the first place. The gun for this experiment is a tube fed and can handle shorts without a problem so in my case it really doesn't matter much. I haven't tried to load them in the mag on my Remington model 5...not sure if shorts hold and load properly.