Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Putting a scope mount on a Marlin Model 780

While I am not specifically familiar with the Marlin 780, mounting a scope isn't rocket science. You have to go slow, make sure you have the right components and test fit things before torquing everything down.

Most .22's have a grooved receiver (a dovetail on top of the receiver). European guns (Anschutz, CZ etc) use an 11 mm dovetail. U.S. built rifles use a 3/8" dovetail. The dovetail eliminates the need for bases. The rings mount directly to the receiver dovetail.

Since recoil isn't really an issue, you can use relatively inexpensive aluminum rings - Leupold makes their rifleman series in a 3/8" dovetail and they run about $12 - $15 a set.

You need to insure that the rings are high enough that the objective bell of the scope will clear the barrel. I like to try and keep the centerline (CL) of the scope as close to the CL of the bore as possible, for less parallax.

Do not use any kind of Loc-Tite on the rings. Do not overtorque. Most ring sets come with an allen (or torx) wrench - use this, it is of a size that makes it difficult to overtorque your fasteners.

If your receiver isn't dovetailed (it probably is) then you will need a set of scope bases or a one-piece scope base. Cross this bridge when/if you come to it.

You should get a scope that is made for rimfires. If they are of the fixed parallax variety, the distance at which the parallax is set is closer (more typical rimfire ranges) than that of a centerfire scope. If you are getting something with adjustable parallax (AO or SF), a rimfire scope will, again, focus down closer to more typical rimfire distances.

Have fun. I have two left hands when it comes to any kind of manual skill, but even I can mount a scope.

Good luck & have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob