Sign in to follow this  
Swarner793

Bringing a Firearm to my vacation property in Fortescue

This is a very vague part of the law. If you are renting a vacation house for the week, you're less protected than if you are actually on the lease. If you have a timeshare, it is a residence and you are protected.

If you properly secure it, don't wave it around and don't plan on getting blotto drunk, why would a cop ever even know about it? When you shot an intruder?

Legally, leave the gun home, you're fine. If you're looking for permission, I don't think anyone can give you that.

I'll leave you with this about Suzanna Hupp who's parents were murdered in front of her while her gun was in the car. You can watch her testify here in front of Congress and see what she thinks about gun laws that leave her defenseless.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675#

On Wednesday, October 16, 1991, Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen. She had left her gun in her car to comply with Texas state law at the time, which forbade carrying a concealed weapon. When George Hennard drove his truck into the cafeteria and opened fire on the patrons, Hupp instinctively reached into her purse for her weapon, but it was in her vehicle. Her father, Al Gratia, tried to rush Hennard and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window and believed that her mother, Ursula Gratia, was behind her. Hennard put a gun to her mother's head as she cradled her mortally wounded husband. Hupp's mother and father were killed along with twenty-one other persons. Hennard also wounded some twenty others. As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that had there been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant[2].

Is the firearm legal in NJ?

If so, yes, look up 1986 FOPA and transport in accordance with that law

I was thinking a Mossberg shotgun. Just something to have available at the house.

I believe FOPA deals more with passing through a state. I will be staying at property owned by me.

Another means availble to me is to get my NJ Private Detective License. A First Sergeant with NJ State Police, Private Detective Unit advised that since I operate a Detective/Security Agency in PA, I could the NJ License. I did not really want to go that route. Who knows, maybe I will expand, haha.

I read the law regarding possession in NJ and my reading seems to be that since I own property, I can possess a (lawful) firearm while there.

Be safe (and the stripers are coming!).

Scott

I believe that since you are the owner of the property, you are ok as long as the gun is legal in NJ. Mossberg shotgun.. I assume you mean a pump? If so, as long as you meet the minimum length laws, you are good to go. (NON-NFA gun).

Just carry it unloaded and in the trunk or locked container and you are OK.