Genewarper111

Sig 229 takedown lever problem

Hi

The takedown lever on my 229 is now unable to turn thru the required 90 degrees and consequently, I can't get the slide assembly off.

This was preceded by completely flawless working and not a hint of a problem. Now, the lever rotates to within a whisker of the 90, but just not that final few degrees.

I have considered using a screwdriver on the other end of the takedown pin, but am concerned that it will simply chew up the Aluminium frame.

I'm wondering if the pin can be driven out but have not attempted that. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Many thanks

Grant

Hi

The takedown lever on my 229 is now unable to turn thru the required 90 degrees and consequently, I can't get the slide assembly off.

This was preceded by completely flawless working and not a hint of a problem. Now, the lever rotates to within a whisker of the 90, but just not that final few degrees.

I have considered using a screwdriver on the other end of the takedown pin, but am concerned that it will simply chew up the Aluminium frame.

I'm wondering if the pin can be driven out but have not attempted that. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Many thanks

Grant

Grant,

it would be pretty hard to just drive it out. The take down lever actually goes into the locking block ($140) and you would end up replacing both.

This is what I would do:

oil the sides of the locking block near the frame, that will sweep down there to the take down, put a little oil near the take down, on the outside of the frame.

Try pushing with your trigger finger, while turning with the other.

If you want, you can bring it to BA tonight and I will look at it.,