Sign in to follow this  
YankeeFan

Question about gifting a handgun

OK, so here's another one for all the NJ law experts. I'm currently in SC at my brother's place and he has a pistol that he recently purchased and wants to give to me. I am still waiting for my FPID and handgun permits. What exactly needs to happen for him to legally transfer the gun to me? Do I need to wait until my permits come in? Should he just hold on to it until then? What happens when I do get the permits? Does he need to go to an FFL and transfer it to me via FFL transfer?? These dumb laws in NJ are driving me nuts!!!

You're dealing with both Federal & NJ laws. The handgun must be delivered to you through a NJ FFL. That means that your brother will have to ship the handgun to the NJ FFL (and not all will accept from a non-FFL - check first. May be necessary for your brother to have a FFL holder where he lives ship it, although not required by law). Then you will have to jump through all the NJ hoops - FPID, P2P, OGAM to actually take possession.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: If your brother ships it directly it has to go via UPS or FedEx next day or 2nd day air only. If an FFL ships it, it can go via the USPS - may be cheaper even with an FFL's fee for doing it.