smoothie

Age to shoot handgun at range

Used the search function to try to find out if there is any info on this but could not find any.

My niece wants to shoot my handguns at the range. She is 18 and I know cannot purchase handguns until 21.

Is there any age restriction on shooting handguns at the range? Wanted to see if anyone here knew before I just called the range.

Used the search function to try to find out if there is any info on this but could not find any.

My niece wants to shoot my handguns at the range. She is 18 and I know cannot purchase handguns until 21.

Is there any age restriction on shooting handguns at the range? Wanted to see if anyone here knew before I just called the range.

The only age I have ever seen posted was 13. Some ranges don't seem to care.

Doesn't even have to be 18, there is an exemption for this:

2C:58-6.1. Possession of firearms by minors; exceptions

a. No person under the age of 18 years shall purchase, barter or otherwise acquire a firearm and no person under the age of 21 years shall purchase, barter or otherwise acquire a handgun, unless the person is authorized to possess the handgun in connection with the performance of official duties under the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-6.

b. No person under the age of 18 years shall possess, carry, fire or use a firearm except as provided under paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) of this subsection; and, unless authorized in connection with the performance of official duties under the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-6, no person under the age of 21 years shall possess, carry, fire or use a handgun except under the following circumstances:

(1) In the actual presence or under the direct supervision of his father, mother or guardian, or some other person who holds a permit to carry a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, as the case may be; or

Edit: The difference being the "actual presence" part when it comes to temporarily transferring to minors. Where a temp transfer could be loaning a shotgun up to the time limit for someone to go hunting.. not needing to be present provided it is used for one of the exemptions such as hunting, target practice at the range, etc.

Interesting... So 2C:58-3 and 2C:58-6 directly contradict one-another. Awesome.

Not really, they are two different types of exemptions.

And 2C:58-3 this:

a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms