Sign in to follow this  
petros600

M69 Trainers

Romanian 1969 trainers: ugh. If complete they are ok guns, fairly accurate, the bolt throw can be improved with sanding and polishing. The trigger is a military trigger, long punning and simple set up, not a crisp target trigger. The magazines are difficult: most Mags are aftermarket and can have issues with feeding. Not all parts are interchangable, the bolt from one may not fit in another. The most common reason the guns break is a piece in the bolt known as a spring follower. It is near impossible to find and costly to have machined.

Years ago I saw an ad for 5 1969's for sale for 199. I thought "cool, I can get a few shooters out of this and give them to family and friends, and it will be a fun gun". Wrong. All of the rifles had a broken spring follower and I had to buy complete bolts to replace the existing bolts just to find that they are not all the same. I then had to tear apart bolts, grind or sand pieces, reassemble bolts and I got 4 of the 5 shooting.

After all that the one I kept sees the range very rarely and I'm thinking about parting with it.

Another note: there are aftermarket scope mounts availabe forthe rifle which mount to a ridge on top of the receiver. Not all rifles have the same sized ridge so the scope mount doesn't work for every rifle.

I used to want one as my first "Get experience with firearms rifle" but after doing enough research, I saw a lot of the things that medicyeti said online. They're decently accurate, but you run a real risk at having something that doesn't work. Besides, if magazines are hard to find, that's a pretty annoying problem to have, even if the rest of the gun is fine. I would just say to save up a little bit and buy a new Savage, or Marlin .22 if that's what you want. Of course, I'm sure that there are people on the forums here, or other places that are selling used ones.