Sign in to follow this  
DblEGT

How Many Rounds To Break-In New Gun?

Will be taking my brand-new Beretta 92A1 to the range this weekend for the first time, and plan on going through approx. 200 rounds (4 boxes). Is there a "break-in" period with a gun, and if so approximately how many rounds would you consider the gun to then be broken-in?

Will the gun feel looser in any way, and how would you exactly describe the "break-in" period?

Guest schutzen-jager

50 to 100 should reveal any defects + smooth working parts -

You will be able to tell more by the feel of the gun than a particular round count. Some manufacturers like Kimber recommend 500 rounds and some say that the gun doesn't need it at all.

Youll be able to tell its broken in when the single action trigger is crisp, and the double action trigger is smoothed out.

Just remember to strip it down and give it a good cleaning & lube before you shoot it. It could prevent alot of problems because some guns are shipped from the factory practically dry.

My Beretta seemed to go thru a few break-in stages

100 rounds. It got rid of the stiffness of the springs and smoothed out the initial fit a little bit

500 rounds. You could really tell a difference in the smoothness of the gun. You will see your rails start to smooth out a little more as they become more fitted to the slide. At this point I started to see the accuracy increase a little bit.

1000 rounds. Everything became really smooth at this point. Racking the pistol became very, very smooth, trigger became a little bit nicer. Accuracy very consistant.

I know a lot of places are out of them at the moment but get a D-spring for it. It improves the double action trigger immensely. Single action a little bit. It is the best 5-8 bucks you can spend on this gun.

Just remember to strip it down and give it a good cleaning & lube before you shoot it. It could prevent alot of problems because some guns are shipped from the factory practically dry.

Good advice, thanks. Yes, my gun seems like it was shipped relatively dry.

I know a lot of places are out of them at the moment but get a D-spring for it. It improves the double action trigger immensely. Single action a little bit. It is the best 5-8 bucks you can spend on this gun.

I'll see how she shoot for a few hundred rounds, then decide on the new spring or not. I appreciate the advice, thanks....sounds like it improved your gun.

By the way, do you have a link (or part number) as to where I can order such a spring?

I wouldn't carry a gun until it had 500 through it. Preferably over at least 2 trips and cleaning sessions. If I had the time and money I would put 500 ball through before even trying HPs or EFMJs or whatever you guys use. 200 rounds of carry ammo or I'm sticking with the ball. And I'm hesitant to try the carry ammo during the first 500 rounds on a pistol since it may be expensive if it malfunctions.

I'll see how she shoot for a few hundred rounds, then decide on the new spring or not. I appreciate the advice, thanks....sounds like it improved your gun.

By the way, do you have a link (or part number) as to where I can order such a spring?

Eric,

Here's the link for where I bought my "D" spring from: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm. They seem to be out of stock at this time though.

Only do this if you are comfortable with some basic gunsmithing... You'll need the right tools to replace the spring... But it's not hard to do. It just requires some disassembly and reassembly work on the pistol to change out the spring.

I changed out the spring in my 92a1 and it definitely lightened up the trigger pull in DA and somewhat in SA... It was a worthwhile modification in my opinion.

Tony

Eric,

Here's the link for where I bought my "D" spring from: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm. They seem to be out of stock at this time though.

Only do this if you are comfortable with some basic gunsmithing... You'll need the right tools to replace the spring... But it's not hard to do. It just requires some disassembly and reassembly work on the pistol to change out the spring.

I changed out the spring in my 92a1 and it definitely lightened up the trigger pull in DA and somewhat in SA... It was a worthwhile modification in my opinion.

Tony

Thank you Tony, and thanks for the link for the spring. Since its only a couple of bucks, I'll be ordering. I've got to follow my 92A1 brother !

Thank you Tony, and thanks for the link for the spring. Since its only a couple of bucks, I'll be ordering. I've got to follow my 92A1 brother !

Here's a video that shows the disassembly to replace the spring: http://www.beretta92fs.com/video.php?id=211

And here's the reassembly: http://www.beretta92fs.com/video.php?id=304

These vids are based on the 92fs... The only difference in the 92a1 is that the pin that pulls out so easily for the 92fs in the vid, takes a punch and hammer to get out in the 92a1. Also the same to get it back in during reassembly. Its a pretty tight fit so it took some effort on mine.