Sign in to follow this  
Bagarocks

First day at CR Range with my new SR40

Picked up my new Ruger KSR40 on thursday and tryed it out today at the Cherry Ridge Range. Nobody was at the PR range So I set up all my stuff at the table station, then walked out and put up my target as I was going back to the firing line Steve the RO approached and asked me what was I doing going out on an open Range. My first BIG MISTAKE on my first day of firsts. Being a red faced embarresed newbie was an understatement. Steve red me the riot act in a very respectable but stern manner. Safety first and always first, Target ranges guns and bullets are not good places or things to say Im sorry.

RO Steve was a great help in giving me the ins and outs of the range. He further gave me excellent tips and insights that I really appreciate and will use as I get more familiar with my hand gun.

I had a good time firing for the first time, shooting 5 rounds per mag, I actually had 4 different times where I grouped 3 shots on a dime or a quarter. One good thing, I still had all the wood attached to my target base I would say thats a good start.

Cant wait to get back and tear apart some cardboard :D

How was managing the .4 out of the gun? .40 isn't the easiest caliber to manage, and the SR40 is a bit smaller. Also, how far out were the targets that you were shooting at? Grouping that close at 5 yards away is much different than 25 yards away.

How was managing the .4 out of the gun? .40 isn't the easiest caliber to manage, and the SR40 is a bit smaller. Also, how far out were the targets that you were shooting at? Grouping that close at 5 yards away is much different than 25 yards away.

I believe I managed well after about the first 10 to 15 rounds. I thought I got into a good rythm ya know , squeeze, lower, settle on target, exhale, squeeze ect. Ive fired rifles, ya know the Army issue type but never a hand gun. recoil was never overbearing.

The Targets were at 25 feet what about 8 yards? I thought that would be a good distance to start and get acclimated and comfortable.

Speaking of distance, whenever I had to hit that 300 yarder I always had to aim a little high squeeze pull yer cheek off the stock and watch it drop, neat stuff