rgiffour

My 18" SPR Build for the New Year

Started as a simple PSA lower for $50 last month..

Just ordered up this weekend:

DPMS MK12 556 NATO 1/8 (6 groove) SS Black 18" Barrel

DPMS Levang Linear Comp/Brake (will be pinned/welded)

PSA MOE LPK kit.

Spikes Upper Receiver

DPMS Rifle Gas Tube

Model 1 Charging Handle

DPMS A2 stock assembly kit

Troy 15" Extreme Battle Rail

$590 total..

got a new Spikes BCG here that I got in my BCM 14.5" Middy.. so GTG in that dept for now..

should look kinda like this one.. (Troy 15" and Levang Comp however)

18with15rail.jpg

What say the crowd ??

Only think I'd say is to look at a SPR worthy trigger / FCG. I'm very happy with my Geissele SSA-E and SD3G, but there are plenty of other good options out there as well.

Should be fun assembling yourself. Do you have the necessary vice blocks and tools for attaching the barrel to the upper receiver?

Well today was D-Day..

I mounted the Spikes upper loosly in the clam-shell while awaiting the barrel via the mail.

Upper.jpg

The when the barrel came in I checked it out abit..

has DPMS 5.56 M-12 1/8 stamped on it.. and the barrel was dimpled for a gas block.

barrelmarks.jpg

the barrel extension was nice and had the M4 ramps.

barrelextnsion.jpg

then I slid the barrel, aligned the pin, and greased the upper threads abit..

grease.jpg

then tighten the Troy supplied barrel nut to 30-60 ft lbs. (mine was 42.)

barrelnut.jpg

Then I oil up where the gas block sits so it goes on better and mark the barrel with pencil to help with aligning the gas tube.

gasportoiled.jpg

then put the gas block on and snug the bottom setscrews. use a roll-pin punch to start the gas tube roll pin.

gastube.jpg

then mount the Troy FF tube about 1 hair off center and then twist to align with the upper rail.

aligntroy.jpg

the M4 feedramps aligned great with the upper.

feedramps.jpg

to align and tighten the FF rail.. I used a HARD FLAT surface and put it FACE DOWN on my table.

take time and slowly tighten the allen head screws.. the rail is aluminum.. listen for the metal to grown and tighten them as evenly as possible.. leave about 1/8" gap per the directions as not to ruin it..

if you leave the screws too lose it will feel like the FF rail is going to fall off.. again.. keep tightening it SLOWLY..

here it is finished..

overallpic.jpg

• Like 1

The SGuide finally shipped my A2 stock after 2 weeks.. should be in hand Saturday for update here..

As a side note I fired 5 rounds of the PMC XTAC 556 NATO without any issues at 40 yards with the MBUS.. smacked a dead tree.

Its a very soft push back and very easy to recover for the next shot.. I think the rifle length gas system helps too..

Fianally got my A2 stock in..

Comp3.jpg

I did the oil on the stock trick after the pic was taken to darken it up..

Here its got the PSA lower with MOE grip and A2 stock finally..

The scope is awaiting the proper scope mount.. I will update Mon/Tuesday when I get it squared up.

The SGuide finally shipped my A2 stock after 2 weeks.. should be in hand Saturday for update here..

As a side note I fired 5 rounds of the PMC XTAC 556 NATO without any issues at 40 yards with the MBUS.. smacked a dead tree.

Its a very soft push back and very easy to recover for the next shot.. I think the rifle length gas system helps too..

Well it isn't the comp. The levang is only slightly better than no comp at all. If that, depending on who you listen to.

A nice article on comps. http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2