Sign in to follow this  
vmastro87

Legal to engrave your own lower?

In no way shape or form is this legal guidance but merely an opinion. I THINK that you can as long as it isn't near or over the serial numbers or imitating them or replacing them. Ya know what I mean? Like a name or a drawing I think there is no problem.That's what I think. What are you planning on putting if you don't mind me asking?

Mike

Not sure yet, I have design I mark things i make with, that is my initials turned into a logo, but I'm really not sure. i was just more wondering at this point if you had the right to mod your own firearm in such a way . I love the look of black ano with the alum showing through I use it a lot on trailer hitches and stuff that I make . I'm doing my wedding favors like that too.

Post some pictures. People paint their rifles all the time. I wouldn't call it a mod if it's only for appearances and has no functional changes and think it would be an ATF rule not a NJ concern. But, like Mike, it's only my opinion.

You can engrave a gun, you think all those tacky guns with a buttload of scroll work all come from the factory?

You can't deface, obscure, or move the serial number. There are also batfe requirements to have a manufacturer's mark on the gun. So if you wanted to etch something in a blank space on your AR, it really isn't a problem.