Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

S&W M&P 9

Can anyone knowledgeable with M&P9s tell me if there is anything to consider in choosing one, and which version to choose. I am probably most interested in one that might have about a 3.5 to 4" barrel, about the size of a G19 with that size grip. I am interested in barrel conversion possibilities, mag size, sights, etc. for consideration. I would also be interested in getting one that would take an Apex trigger upgrade.

Please share your thoughts, experiences.

Thanks!

The M&P 9/40 comes in compact (3.5"), Full (4.25") or Long (5") barrel.

You can convert a .40 S&W to 9mm but not the reverse. I generally would not rely on any caliber conversion for defensive purposes.

Stock full size 9mm magazine is 17 rounds, but S&W offer a 15 round factory magazine to be NJ compliant.

All of them will take the same Apex trigger upgrades.

There are a bazillion sight options for the M&P.

You are welcome to meet me in Tenafly and try my 9L with Apex sear, striker block and Dawson adjustable sight. At just under 6k rounds the only malfunction was a failure to go fully into battery on round #1, never happened again. Then around round 2k I had a fail to fire on a Winchester Nato round, looked like a good primer strike so I blame the amo. Damned reliable.

• Like 1

I have the M&P 40c. Size wise it is right between the Glock 19 and Glock 26. Mag capacity is 10 in 40, 12 in 9mm. I have the model with no thumb safety, no mag disconnect, and no internal lock, just the way I like it. I think conversions are only possible if you start with the .40. You can get a 40-9mm conversion or a 40-357 conversion, but you cant go up in caliber from a 9mm. The Apex triggers are available for all M&P's. Stock sights are novack and are excellent.

You can also use a full size mag with an X-Grip extension on it for the compact.

Why don't you just go buy the Glock 19 Gen4 already?

• Like 1