Sign in to follow this  
podmannj

Ammo - fire hazard/regulations

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered many times before:

1. are there any fire department regulations limiting the amount of ammo you can have in your house? (not reloading supplies)

2. are there any regulations on how to store ammo? Do we need to do anything special? Do they need to be kept in a gun safe?

3. What would happen in a fire if I had 1000 rounds of #8 shotgun ammo or a few hundred rounds of 9mm? Is it a danger to my neighbors?

thanks

No

No. keep them away from kids.

And nothing really. The shells won't do anything, and the 9mm will just explode and not shoot the projectile. The pressure in the gun propels the bullet.

I like to store my ammo in GI ammo cans. If you can fit it in the safe, doo it.

From past experiences the only harmful hazard I have come across would be chambered rounds in firearms. Ammunition when burnt to it's ignition point puts pressure on the case, but because it is not contained within a barrel the case fails and the result is that of a pop like small fireworks. Chambered rounds in firearms WILL fire towards the direction the weapon is pointed. A firefighter in PA was shot by a ricochet in the leg no more than 6 months ago, and I personally have had windows shot out across the street while fighting a house fire where weapons were present. There are no state restrictions on location or quantity of ammunition you can store(to the best of my knowledge).