Sign in to follow this  
DMahan

Curious about the legality of this rifle

I just recently moved to this state so I'm not entirely familiar with the gun laws. I'm looking to purchase my girlfriend a Mossberg 715t, a tactical 22. There are two different version, but I'm leaning towards the flat-top.

Mossberg 715t flat top tactical 22

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/76656

• .22 long rifle
  • 10+1 capacity
  • fixed stock
  • 16.25" barrel length
  • removable muzzle brake

Mossberg 715t carry handle 22

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/69671

• .22 long rifle
  • 10+1 capacity
  • fixed stock
  • 18" barrel length
  • fixed stock

From what I have read online, both seem to fit the criteria; however, I can't seem to find anything regarding the muzzle brake on the flat top version. If anyone from this forum has one themselves, or can speak about the legality I would greatly appreciate it!

There are many people on here who are more knowledgeable about these things who will probably chime in but right off the bat:

Since it comes with an evil pistol grip, you used up your list of evil items allowed in New Jersey. Keeping a good grip on a firearm so it doesn't fly out of your hands is evil, didn't you know? Thus:

Adjustable stock is no-no. NJ State Legislature thinks ergonomic accommodations for different body sizes are evil. Non-adjustable stock that is too long or too short for most is not evil. - EDIT: Just realized you put down fixed stock, so you got that covered.

Muzzle break? For a .22 LR? That's pushing it - .22LR has no recoil to reduce with a muzzle break in the first place. So I'd avoid the muzzle break. What's the difference between a flash suppressor (evil according to the legislature) versus muzzle brake? Who knows. The judge isn't going to know. If it suppresses flash, perhaps it's a flash suppressor and the gun is a felony. So do yourself a favor and leave that out. Threads on the muzzle might be illegal also, I forget.

Better just to buy it from a NJ dealer who will know if what they are selling is compliant or not.

Then, going back another step, buying it for your girlfriend. Does she have a FOID card? Are you going to do a certificate of eligibility when you give it to her? Or are you buying it in your name so you can allow her to use it at the range while you are next to her?

Keep a NJ gun attorney's phone number in your wallet if you are driving around with something that looks like an AR-15 in the car. You might need to take advantage of that one phone call. The gun looks like an assault rifle to the cops. Many don't know the difference. The statute is vague enough to begin with.

There are many people on here who are more knowledgeable about these things who will probably chime in but right off the bat:

Since it comes with an evil pistol grip, you used up your list of evil items allowed in New Jersey. Keeping a good grip on a firearm so it doesn't fly out of your hands is evil, didn't you know? Thus:

Adjustable stock is no-no. NJ State Legislature thinks ergonomic accommodations for different body sizes are evil. Non-adjustable stock that is too long or too short for most is not evil. - EDIT: Just realized you put down fixed stock, so you got that covered.

Muzzle break? For a .22 LR? That's pushing it - .22LR has no recoil to reduce with a muzzle break in the first place. So I'd avoid the muzzle break. What's the difference between a flash suppressor (evil according to the legislature) versus muzzle brake? Who knows. The judge isn't going to know. If it suppresses flash, perhaps it's a flash suppressor and the gun is a felony. So do yourself a favor and leave that out. Threads on the muzzle might be illegal also, I forget.

Better just to buy it from a NJ dealer who will know if what they are selling is compliant or not.

Then, going back another step, buying it for your girlfriend. Does she have a FOID card? Are you going to do a certificate of eligibility when you give it to her? Or are you buying it in your name so you can allow her to use it at the range while you are next to her?

Keep a NJ gun attorney's phone number in your wallet if you are driving around with something that looks like an AR-15 in the car. You might need to take advantage of that one phone call. The gun looks like an assault rifle to the cops. Many don't know the difference. The statute is vague enough to begin with.

Sorry to nitpick, but newbies to NJ (the OP) need to learn things correctly.

FOID = Firearms Owners Identification card - issued to people in Illinois

FPID = Firearms Purchaser Identification card - issued to people in NJ (and often abbreviated to the old name FID), you do not need an FPID to own a firearm in NJ, only to purchase (or otherwise receive) a firearm.

Right, you don't need a FPID to own a firearm in NJ (theoretically you could have owned it prior to the law being enacted in the 60s, or moved into NJ already owning a firearm legally acquired while you were resident elsewhere). BUT, if you live in NJ, you need that card to legally receive a gun.

In other words, if you buy a gun and give it to your girlfriend, and she has no FPID, and she takes it to the range and gets pulled over, and she has no FPID to show the police, and she starts giving honest answers to the police about who she got the gun from, you are going to be in a spot where you need a lawyer really bad.

I probably should have clarified, but the gun is going to be in my name. As someone said, I plan on buying it to bring with me to the range so she can enjoy it. I talked to a couple FFL's today any all of them have told me the flat-top version wouldn't be legal in NJ due to the muzzle brake being threaded on (assuming it is threaded). I can settle for the carry handle version.

Thanks everyone for your input!