Sign in to follow this  
wooly bugger

another letter

I'm sorry for deluging you with letters, but these are critically important right now. Here's what I wrote to the sponsors of A3664, which would limit magazine capacity to 5. Feel free to plagiarize. I realize that this will fall on deaf and irrational ears, but I can only try.

Dear Mr. Cryan and O'Donnell and Ms. Quijano and Jasey,

I would like to express my opinions on bill A3664, which you have co-sponsored.

I was sorry that I did not see any of you at the recent SAFE public hearing in Newark. As you will hear from the panel, there was almost no support among your constituents for the additional gun control measures you have proposed. The people want to see real action on mental health, drug abuse, and poverty. They recognize that legislation such as a magazine capacity limit for lawful gun owners will have no impact on violent crime. In fact, the review panel commissioned by the state of Virginia in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting studied the impact magazine capacity restrictions. The shooter used 15 round magazines, and the panel reported:

"The panel concluded that 10-round magazines that were legal would have not made much difference in the incident. Even pistols with rapid loaders could have been about as deadly in this situation."

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/tempcontent/techPanelReport-docs/10%20CHAPTER%20VI%20GUN%20PURCHASE%20AND%20CAMPUS%20GUN%20POLICIES.pdf

I ask that you heed the advice of your constituents and focus on the issues that will make a real difference.

Before voting on a 5 round magazine limit, I would encourage you also to study the backlash to a similar but less restrictive measure recently passed in New York State. As you know, the Heller decision states that arms "in common use at the time" are protected under the second amendment. Your bill would effectively ban almost all semi-automatic handguns, which are the most common firearm of choice for home defense. I cannot conceive how a court will consider your almost blanket ban consistent with the Heller decision.

Please do not waste state resources on the millions of dollars and years of litigation which this bill will trigger, if passed into law.

It takes courage to change course this late in the process, and it takes more courage to forego easy and cost-free gestures such as this bill, in favor of expensive and difficult solutions, such as would be required to keep dangerously psychotic individuals and drug addicts off of the streets. However, we learned at the three public hearings that your constituents are discerning enough to tell the difference and are willing to make the investment in a truly meaningful solution. Please listen to your constituents and follow their wishes.