Sign in to follow this  
Artyguy

Senator Menendez replies

So I got a response from him today. Well it wasn't actually him just an automated response that everyone has been getting. So I sent him this:

Dear Senator,

I agree that what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary was a tragedy. I also agree that a parent should never have to experience losing a child in such a tragic way. However, I cannot possibly fathom how the resent bills proposed by the politicians of this state could have any impact on criminals or individuals who intend to use a firearm to commit violence. After reading a few of the bills it seems as though they will only target law abiding citizens who legally want to purchase guns and ammunition. I urge you to take some time to read over these bills and use common sence instead of this lunatic anti-gun, politically motivated mindset that is so apprent in these new bills.

With that being said, if you truly want to make this state and our beloved country safe. I have a few points for you to focus on:

1. Mental health evaluation and care. It is evident that the individual who commited the hanis act at Sandy Hook Elementary was mentally troubled.

2. Stricter penalties for illegal gun possession and crimes commited with a firearm. To often do I read about individuals being able to plea bargin for less time or no time at all. They simply get probation and are able to return to their regular lives with just a slap on the wrist. I firmly believe that with stricter penalties crimes commited with firearms will significantly be reduced.

My last and final point, please do not make more laws against legal ownership of firearms. New Jersey already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, enforce the thousands of laws already on the books.

I will end this with a short story. In January of 2009 I deployed with 2nd battalion 10th Marines to Al Anbar province Iraq as part of a civil affairs team. During our deployment, we used much of our time to conduct firearms excercises. After our first excercise, our Staff Sargent sat us down in a semi-circle around him and told us, "We will spend hours and days and weeks and months shooting at paper targets. I want you all to know that in the event you must use your rifle, be sure; no, be damn sure that you HAVE to use it. This rifle has no feelings, morals, or conscience; neither do these rounds. You ultimately must make the decision to pull the trigger and send rounds down range." Basically this is the old guns don't kill people, people kill people speech that,in all honesty, is completely true. Laws or no laws, an individual will ultimately have to discern right from wrong, good from bad. These gun laws do not sway criminals from commiting a crime, they only strip the law abiding citizen from a right given to him.

Sincerely,

Daniel Pereira

P.s. I would appreciate if you personally respond to this Senator. Not an aide or send out a generic response. Thank you.

Lets see if he replies with anything of substance.

yea i got a response from him today. been using Ruger's website to send their pre-written email every single day, and i got a response today. And it was disgusting.

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for improving mental health treatment in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut tragedy.

Given the Ruger email does talk about that, and that IS what he SHOULD be doing, it is only mentioned as an alternative solution, and in the mind of anyone who.. well anyone who actually has a mind of their own which is too few these days.. the proper solution to these incidents. The real subject of the email is to not wipe your ass with the Bill of Rights just to make you feel good about yourself while actually making innocent people less safe. Instead they twisted it into thinking I am supporting his actions. It goes on to briefly mention "gun violence" all under the pretext that I am supporting him. It makes me lose my little remaining faith in humanity.

That's just sad and frustrating. What's the point of having a voice to be heard if no one listens? I'll just keep emailing, calling, and donating. Best I can do.

I know it's frustrating, my representatives Weinberg and her gang have wiped their asses with every email I have sent. We need to vote all these hacks out of office. They don't even have the balls to personally respond even when I demand a response.

My wife and I spoke about it and we are leaving NJ within the next 2 -3 years. We have to save up some money and plan our ove but we are done with the hack of a state.